New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Running ventrilo-server, how-to?

Want new functionality in Bubba? Discuss it here.
limpan

Running ventrilo-server, how-to?

Post by limpan »

Hello!

Is anyone out there running Ventrilo-server on their Bubba?
Can you please post a quick how-to, would be very happy! :-)
Idiot.se
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

I doubt that you will be able to run Ventrilo Server on bubba at all!

First of all Ventrilo is proprietary, closed source software and is only distributed as binaries for i386, PowerPC and Sparc.
Bubba uses an ARM-processor and would need the source to be compiled for this platform.

I might be wrong about this, so i do encourage you to look around and see if you can find the source, then it might be possible!

/Bjorn
limpan

Post by limpan »

Hi! Thanks for your answer.

I found this little tool called Qemu (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/Qemu), wich i think is a i386 emulator. Will installing ventrilo-server be possible with Qemu?
Idiot.se
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

Hi!

Software emulation of i386 on 200mhz ARM-processor will be very slow, and will most likely not perform well as a realtime audio-conferencing server. The only way to find out weather or not it'll work is to try it! You'll always learn something :-)

/Bjorn
limpan

Post by limpan »

Thanks alot for your answers Bjorn!
Maybe i'll try it out anyways, just to learn! :-)
Idiot.se
osa

Post by osa »

Bjorn, according to Jarno, when run on an Athlon 64 3800+, it can perform 20 percent faster than the ARM-based LinkSys NSLU2 (266MHz??) .. so it's worth trying

Have you tried any benchmarks on Bubba?
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

Hi Osa,

Outperforming an ARM-processor(@266mhz) by 20% on an Athlon 64 3800+ is one thing, emulating a x86 on ARM(@200mhz) would probably not deliver any satisfactory results.

But no, i don't have any benchmarks though... :)
osa

Post by osa »

mea culpa :cry:
i've read all again and i see my mistake.
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

If you didn't try to install ventrilo server maybe this will be of interest!

the person who wrote this article:
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/S ... riloServer

has used a ventrilo server through emulated x86 with qemu-x86. Only thing is that that person used a NSLU2 which features a 266mhz processor.

But try it out! it might work well for you on bubba even at 160mhz!

never give up. :-)

/Bjorn
Gurriz

Post by Gurriz »

Does anyone know how to install qemu on bubba?
The link above is for NSLU2 using the ipkg command which I don't find on bubba. Is it possible to download qemu as source-code and compile it?
nnevatie

Re: Running ventrilo-server, how-to?

Post by nnevatie »

Seems the thread is quite old but here's how to get Ventrilo working on B2, if anyone is still interested:

http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f ... ilo#p12958
linhely

Post by linhely »

--THIS POST HAS BEEN DELETED AND THE USER BANNED--
nnevatie

Post by nnevatie »

linhely wrote:Software emulation of i386 on 200mhz ARM-processor will be very slow, and will most likely not perform well as a realtime audio-conferencing server.
It works fine, to be honest. Typical VOIP servers (Ventrilo, TeamSpeak) are not actually touching the audio streams in the server-side, but rather working as packet routers between clients - i.e. all the CPU-intensive work is done by the clients (encoding/decoding audio).

I have been running Ventrilo on B2 via qemu for months now, without any issues - this is with moderately low number of users (2-10), your mileage may vary.