New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Streaming media from Bubba

Want new functionality in Bubba? Discuss it here.
fgunnars

Streaming media from Bubba

Post by fgunnars »

Hi,

Bubba looks promising. Any ideas to include the possibility to include some media server?

Popular free projects include Wizd and Oxyl~box.

/Fredrik
tor

Post by tor »

Hi Fredrik,

One of our main goals is to extend Bubbas media streaming capabilities. Today we support Daap streaming, enabling devices such as Rokulabs soundbridge, software players including ITunes, Rhythmbox, Banshee and more to play audio stored on Bubba. And as you probably have seen in other threads we are evaluating the possibility to support Slimdevices products such as their SqueezeBox.

But what we have not yet talked a lot about is that we are currently also working on, and have come quite long way with, is integrating a uPNP capable mediaserver in Bubba.

This will result in Bubba being capable to provide video, music and pictures to a wide selection of uPNP capable players.

After checking the two servers you suggested, thanks btw, Wizd also seems to be a uPNP mediaserver built with dot net primarily for win32 environments. (Edit, after checking a bit closer, only the WizdXP control panel requires dot net. The mediaserver application should run on a variety of platforms)

The Oxyl~box looked quite interesting. Haven't seen that before. Looks like a web based media player that plays media directly in the browser. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not that good at German) Which we definetly will look deeper into when time permits.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
guapo

Post by guapo »

Hi!

WIZD is an opensource product: wizd.sourceforge.net
It compiles on linux as well.
On Windows you can choose to use WizdXp for configuring it instead of editing the wizd.conf yourself. (WizdXp is just an extra).

Since my 'Syabas'-based player doesn't support UPNP, I'm using this program, especially the ability to be able to play dvd iso's direct from your harddrive is great. I probably would be using this program even if my player supported UPNP...

I am looking for a small central storage and streaming server, if Bubba was able to use Wizd, I would be very interested!
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

I tried to compile wizd on Bubba and that was quite easy.

We have however no devices, at least right now, to test this on. But if someone who has such device and is willing to do some testing i can start by doing a package for Bubba to see if its worth (Has reasonable performance and otherwise work well) to add to our features. Which we of course is interested in ;)

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer