New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Spam filter for the Bubba mailserver?

Want new functionality in Bubba? Discuss it here.
Aitch

Spam filter for the Bubba mailserver?

Post by Aitch »

Is there any plan to add a spam filter to the mailserver? Although most of my web hosts do some filtering one of them wants paid extra for it (no good for a Scotsman) :lol:

I've added Spamassasin to another machine and know it needs a bit of configuration - I'd hate to mess up the defaults on my Bubba.

/H
bubbalibre

Post by bubbalibre »

Hi again Aitch,

Just an idea...
A spam filter is heavy and demands lots of care. One could use instead a particular Gmail account to get rid of those nasty spams. The hole load and pain would then be supported by Google.

One shall then use your tutorial: Using Gmail with Bubba mailserver.

Regards,
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

A very elegant solution bubbalibre, I like it! Not only does it deal with the spam issue, but it adds several gigabytes of secure, off-site back-up for my more important emails.

I will set my webhost to forward all mail to the new Gmail account, then POP that from the Bubba. Thanks a lot.

/H
Clive

Post by Clive »

Doesn't Bubba have some form of Spamfilter already included ?

It already seems to reject a large amount of Spam based on Spam Cop Sites.

eg.

Mar 30 10:34:31 postfix/smtpd[11773]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from c-67-162-187-74.hsd1.mo.comcast.net[67.162.187.74]: 554 Service unavailable; Client host [67.162.187.74] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net; Dynamic IP Addresses See: http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?67.162.187.74; from=<iclyde@mailme.dk> to=<xyz@xxxx.xx.xx.xx> proto=SMTP helo=<localhost.localdomain>

I've never managed a get Spamassasin working well, it either accepted everything or rejected everything :-(
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

Bubba has some antispam functionality "out of the box". Postfix, the smtp server we use, comes preconfigured with some rules on this including blacklisting exactly as Clive found out.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Call me a control freak, but I like to know what is being bounced. I issue a newsletter which gets bounced by AOL from time to time without being seen by those it is intended for.

I've had a little experience of using Bayesian based spam systems. These allow you to set your own scores for rejection and teach the system based on missed spam or ham. I found these quick to learn and very reliable, but having the advantage of letting me see what is being rejected.

Once I am happy my existing mailserver set up is working OK on the Bubba I'll play around and let you know how it goes.

/H