New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Partioned HDD

Want new functionality in Bubba? Discuss it here.
aha

Partioned HDD

Post by aha »

Hi,

It would be great to have Bubba partioned.
All added data like home, storage and media on one,
and all system dirs on one.
Then I could recover my bubba without shuffling all my music an pictures.

I think I have re installed it like 15 times, since I try a lot of new stuff on it (and occationally screw up).
/Aha
Clive

Post by Clive »

Agreed ! It's a bit worrying that a minor mess up could lose me all my data. It would be better to have user files on a separate partition so that Bubba had it's own partition which it could re-format and re-install at will.

Also (as mentioned on another thread) a non-destructive re-install image or perhaps a fail-safe boot image from USB (with standard SSH access as a minimum) so that a minor fault could be re-corrected without having to reinstall (and format) the whole of Bubba. I am sure the developers must have something like this already.
mattias

Post by mattias »

As I guess about anyone would, I agree too... What also would be nice is if one would be able to choose what filesystem bubba should use. I actually prefer ext2 since then I can use noflushd to spin down the harddrive. As it is now it's a bit tricky to change (or perhaps I did it the wrong way).
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

What you are discussing can quite easily be achieved by modifying the current boot image. The main idea would be to exchange the "format" lines in the script and replace by removal of system data, thus leaving user data intact.

read more in this thread: http://excito.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=213

/Bjorn