New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

[IMPLEMENTED] Need for authenticated SMTP for bubba....

Want new functionality in Bubba? Discuss it here.
dsp76

[IMPLEMENTED] Need for authenticated SMTP for bubba....

Post by dsp76 »

Hi,
as far as I understand, I have 2 options for sending email from bubba:
1) send from bubba as smtp server
2) send through my ISPs smtp server

Both won't work in many occasions ...

regarding option 1)
- at least the largest german freemailers don't accept emails from smtp servers with dynamic IP adresses (web.de, gmx,de, t-online.de). For an example, click here

regarding option 2)
- ISPs either don't have an SMTP, or don't allow to relay other than the email adress assigned by the ISPs (usually only a few use their emailsystems, as it makes it difficult to switch to another provider)

Either I have missed it, but what would be needed is an SMTP server entry, where I can also can enter my userID and my password. So far I could only find the field for the stmp server without any more details to add.

Could this be done in a next release or would I need to edit files manually? Which ones?

regards
dsp

Its now implemented in the 0.52.1 firmware release
Thanks a lot!
Last edited by dsp76 on 09 Feb 2008, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.
tor

Post by tor »

Adding authenticated smtp is on our todo. Unfortunately it is a bit down on the list :(

if you feel adventurous you can however try to do it manually. Note, this is not tested by Excito yet.

First of you need to install the postfix-tls package. After that you need to modify your /etc/postfix/main.cf Add the lines:

Code: Select all

smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_security_options =
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/saslpw
Then you have to create the password file, /etc/postfix/saslpw, and add your passwords to that. The format should be:

smtp.myisp.com myuserid:mypw
Where smtp.myisp.com matches what you have put in the SMTP server field in the web-admin UI.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
dsudar

vote to raise priority on authenticated SMTP

Post by dsudar »

Not being the adventurous type, I'd like to register my vote for high priority on this feature as a standard feature.

Thanks,
- Damir
kaveman

Post by kaveman »

I'd like to second (third?) this request.

I tried to do install the postfix-tls package, but no luck. Of course, I have a rather limited linux skill-set, but still am willing to RTM and google.

I may be in the wrong, but it seems many ISPs are requiring authentication. Also, this (email server...) is one of the key features that differentiated Bubba (at least for me) from a lot of NAS boxes.

Thanks.
-kv
tor

Post by tor »

Kaveman,

You might not need to install the tls-package. We have reports on it working without that. So try just modify the files as stated above.

(We will try to squeeze this feature in to the next release since it is quite essential.)

/Tor
dsp76

Post by dsp76 »

Hi,
just want to confirm, that its working on bubba. Postfix-TLS could be installed from the Debian sources, however you also need to install:
apt-get install libsasl2-modules
After all the changes to main.cf and the creation of /etc/postfix/saslpw you need to:
1.) postmap saslpw
2.) /etc/init.d/postfix restart
Now its working fine :-)

dsp76

I would suggest to start an excito Wiki, similiar to ubuntuusers.de Wiki... too much good information gets spread over many messages in many threads....
tor

Post by tor »

Hi dsp76,

Regarding the wiki we have thought of that. But since keeping it clean of spam etc we decided not to for the time being. We however strongly encourage anyone to add to our Howto forum ;)

/Tor
txporter

How do I set up postfix to use port 587 for outbound SMTP?

Post by txporter »

Thanks for the info on setting up psotfix for authenticated SMTP. My ISP uses port 587 for the initial connection.

How do I set this up in postfix? Do I add ':587' to the smtp server entry in the admin email setup, or do I need to add this to one of the postfix config files? If so which one?

Thanks!
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Hi

Just FYI and the remote case developers did not know this. it may be a good idea to use the dovecot SASL libs. This means you do not need to add new users via shell but it uses dovecots database. As this requires a recompile of postfix this probably is only useful for new upgrades...

http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#build_dovecot

Ubi
neilg

Post by neilg »

Hi all

Just to say that I too would like to see Authenticated SMTP supported directly in Bubba. It seems increasingly common that ISPs insist on this feature. Also, if you subcribe to non ISP providers (eg 1 & 1) this seems to be a standard requirement.

Neilg
Eek

Authentication

Post by Eek »

Hi

found a great link to setup authentication and also use TLS (gmail.com)

http://souptonuts.sourceforge.net/postfix_tutorial.html

Have not yet tried the TLS option, but found it usefull to get the authentication working. The /var/log/mail.log said that my ISP smtp server accepted the message... but it never arrived.

These variations did the trick for me

/etc/postfix/main.cf

relayhost = [smtp.xmsnet.nl]
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = no
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $myhostname
smtp_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
#smtp_sasl_security_options =
smtp_sasl_tls_security_options = noanonymous
smtpd_sasl_application_name = smtpd
/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd

[smtp.xmsnet.nl]         myname:mypassword
then run postmap and restart postfix

postmap /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
/etc/init.d/postfix restart
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Hi Eek.

Great piece of info! Can you put a copy in the howto section of this forum as well. I think many users will find this interesting

Ubi
Eek

Post by Eek »

Hi Ubi

okay request accepted, created a how-to
http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?t=835
Eek

Post by Eek »

For your information
Using GMail to send mail works.
i used http://souptonuts.sourceforge.net/postfix_tutorial.html
and upgrade postfix using the etch repository.
works great!
Cheers
Eek