New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

RAID Support

Want new functionality in Bubba? Discuss it here.
hackster

RAID Support

Post by hackster »

I have been looking for a device like this for a while and think it is ideal. However, if I were to load up my collection of photo's and MP3's I would need some kind of fault tolerance. It would be good to have RAID capability of RAID Level 1, i.e. Two HDD Mirrored. This could be a user upgrade, i.e. the system is supplied as a single drive with space for a user to add another or already with two HDD.

Any thoughts to this possibility?
johannes

Post by johannes »

Yes, this is a feature many have asked for. We are currently evalutaing that possibility for the next generation of Bubba servers. No promises, but you're right, a good idea!
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
raven

Post by raven »

Proper RAID support would be fantastic, ideally by hardware rather than software.

Another option to achieve fault tolerance would be if Bubba allowed a second hard disk to be attached (by USB, Firewire, SATA or whatever). That way backups could be made regularly, and you would at least have (let's say) a daily backup of your photos, music or whatever.
pa

Post by pa »

It is possible to connect an external harddisk using USB, and that could be suitable for scheduled backups for not too large systems. The USB is only "Full speed" which means 12Mbit/s, but for a backup solution this might work.

/PA
James

Post by James »

As mentioned, a RAID setup of some sorts sounds ideal.

At the moment, if Bubba crashes, are files saved on the HDD generally OK? I'm really interested in getting one, but just need to know how seriously I need to consider purchasing a second drive (probably USB) to back up files.

What experience do other users have on this topic?

Thanks, James
budgester

Backup Idea

Post by budgester »

Would it be possible to have two bubbas, one as a backup, maybe rsync the data between them ?
pa

Post by pa »

I would say that it would work fine, you would just have to set it up on both the units.

/PA
johannes

Post by johannes »

I do just that at home, have two Bubbas, where one is fetching my emails and some other data from the other every night, and sends me a confirmation email every time. Works perfectly. The script is fairly simple, I have actually started writing a small guide on this. Le me know if this is of interest, I'll publish it.
Tim

Backing up one Bubba to another

Post by Tim »

johannes wrote:I do just that at home, have two Bubbas, where one is fetching my emails and some other data from the other every night, and sends me a confirmation email every time. Works perfectly. The script is fairly simple, I have actually started writing a small guide on this. Le me know if this is of interest, I'll publish it.
Yes please, Johannes - I hope to be doing this in a couple of weeks...

/Tim
johannes

Post by johannes »

gb

RAID-1 on bubba

Post by gb »

I posted this on the thread about the installation of a second HD, but I think it may belong also here...

I managed to install a raid-1 system putting 2 laptop hard disks (they fit both inside the box...) on the bubba, the full instructions are here.

The main problem is speed, mostly seen at array build/reconstrution. I'm doing some tests and, for now, it seems usable...

giovanni