New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

AFP support

Want new functionality in Bubba? Discuss it here.
ncollingridge

Post by ncollingridge »

In my case Bubba would be used to replace a Mac Mini (G4 processor) running MacOS X Server 10.3.9. It currently provides file sharing, email, ftp and web services. It's been running for 242 days without a crash or restart. I hope (and, I must say expect) that Bubba will be able to at least equal this!
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi ncollingridge,

My bubba does all the things you have mentioned above for me.
However "web services" could mean a lot of different things, and you will probably not get the same performance from bubba as from your G4 powerpc processor. It works great for me, but if you have heavy tasks the web interface will be slow-ish.

Still, all emails are delivered, no attempts to connect to the ftp server are refused, web pages are displayed, print jobs are being executed from both windows and Linux PCs (sorry no Mac experience). I never had to reboot it without first having tinkered with it. I keep it in an enclosed environment but there are no heat problems.
File/printer sharing for Windows (and Ubuntu) via samba works like a treat right out of the box, and if you want to use NFS it only takes a couple of minutes to set up. Streaming audio and video seems to work fine (I haven't got a player to test this functionality, but I have done some experiments and it seems to work fine).

I still haven't come across a function/need that wasn't possible to get installed/implemented and working on the bubba. There is also a great and very helpful user community. The device might be a bit slow sometimes, but you will have to forgive it for that, considering what it is offering you compared to the power consumption and silence.

And after this sales-pitch, I better point out that I do not work for Excito.

Cheers

/Cheesy
Joachim

Post by Joachim »

Hi, everyone

Just wanted to follow up on the whole AFP-thing. Has anyone managed to get AFP working on the bubba?

I still get the following output when I try to restart the daemon:

Code: Select all

Restarting AppleTalk Daemons (this will take a while)Stopping AppleTalk Daemons: afpd papd timelord atalkd cnid_metad.
..Starting AppleTalk services (this will take a while): socket: Address family not supported by protocol
socket: Address family not supported by protocol
atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting.
 atalkd papd afpd cnid_metad.
done.

Regards,
/Joachim
ncollingridge

Post by ncollingridge »

Just for interest, given the lack of AFP support as standard I ended up buying a ReadyNAS Duo, with which I am very happy indeed. One lost sale might not be significant, but I bet there are plenty of others who have decided similarly.
ian

Post by ian »

While you might have a point, as was pointed out earlier, there are literally thousands of debian apps.

No doubt many of these are truly useful, but Excito can't be expected to add every app to the web UI simply because some users would like it; that's no doubt why Johannes said they would consider adding support for AFP if enough people asked for it.

However, that being said, the more protocols that the bubba supports "out of the box" the better...
ncollingridge

Post by ncollingridge »

[quote="ian"]While you might have a point, as was pointed out earlier, there are literally thousands of debian apps..[/quote]

I can see your point, but I think that an app that adds support for a protocol that otherwise leaves a significant minority of clients poorly supported is in a different category than other apps. Which I think is the point that you made later in your post, somewhat contradicting yourself :lol:
ian

Post by ian »

What I meant was, there are lots of apps which *some* people would like to see added to the basic webUI, but obviously this is not possible for all apps, hence Excito's response that they would wait for more users to express an interest.

A good example of this is NFS for debian, which seems to give some advantages when streaming video, and which enables media devices to browse bubba content without requiring a logon (which is a pain with a remote control). Obviously it would be easier if such a server were already built in and configurable from the web interface, but there are no doubt practical reasons why it isn't.

Anyway, good luck with your NAS, and hopefully you won't regret not buying a bubba....
Joachim

Post by Joachim »

Just to clarify; I don't need the webinterface to support AFP configuration - although, it would be nice, of course. All I am trying to do is get the apt package "netatalk" to work. So if anyone has managed to configure it so they have AFP working, I would love to hear how.

Thanks,
/Joachim

EDIT: Actually, I just now realized I was in the Bubba forum - not the Bubba|Two. Should I make a new post in the Bubba|Two forum instead, or is the problem the same here?