New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Etch

Want new functionality in Bubba? Discuss it here.
Ubi

Etch

Post by Ubi »

Hi

Any news when the Debian Etch upgrade is ready to be downloaded?

Ubi
John W

Post by John W »

I heard that Tor is working on Etch. I guess there will be a couple of weeks untill it's released. :)
tor

Post by tor »

The work is our top priority right now. And I actually thought it should be done by now, but package integration and bug fixing has taken a bit longer than expected.

So to sum it up. Our ambition is to release asap.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
habrys

Post by habrys »

So what's the status concerning etch on bubba?
Will we get it before Christmas? :)
habrys

Post by habrys »

I wonder if it would be possible/safe just to "dist upgrade" to etch... What do you think?

I assume not, since tor works on the upgrade, but actually why not?
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Well Bubba = distro + custom work.
If you up the distro, I'm pretty sure the custom work will no longer function. There's some pretty good hackers at Excito, and they're already spending months. My guess is thus that it takes a *little* more than just a single upgrade command to upgrade wouldn't you think?
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

Some feedback from us at Excito might be in order :)

We really hope and im almost certain that we will have Etch on Bubba done and released before christmas.

And as Ubi says. If you remove our packages you will most likely be able to dist-upgrade to Etch. The problem would be if you still want to run our addons. They will most likely not install after an upgrade. We will provide a new repo with packages for Etch when we are done.

The main reasons to the delay in the upgrade is due to two things.

We want to fix as much as possible that where not optimal solutions when we made the first version. Fx we will partition the HD to separate the user data from the Linux install making it easier to do a complete reinstall without touching user data. We will also take another aproach with packaging than what we did in the the first Bubba release that will most likely give us the chance to leave Debian security updates enabled even if using the web-admin for updates. This solution includes us customizing a great more packages than we have been doing up until now.

The instability issue with the download manager has been a major showstopper for us and has more or less stopped the work on the Etch upgrade. The last couple of weeks has gone into rewriting the parts of the downloader that is involved in torrent downloading. We ripped out the old underlaying torrent-library and now use another that will hopefully work better under load and our architecture. This is starting to stabilize and we will hopefully be able to release this shortly. After that we will focus 100% on the etch upgrade again (As a bonus here we will most likely be able to deliver a better torrent client as time progresses when the undelaying library is more feature packed than the old.)

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
msx

Post by msx »

hello :) from what you say, if i don't use the web interface i could reasonably safely dist upgrade to etch.
i don't use it, i just use ssh and eventually Web-min or my own programs..

apart from the web interface, what else is in the custom packages that could give trouble if removed? :)
habrys

Post by habrys »

Thanks a lot for answer, tor.

It's certainly more important to have an improved torrent client, than the etch upgrade - for me personally too. Nonetheless good to hear, that the etch upgrade is still planned and going to happen soon. No problem for me to wait till Christmas or even a bit longer.

Keep up the good work!