New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Can it be a Windows (Samba) Primary Domain Controller (PDC)?

Want new functionality in Bubba? Discuss it here.
bob42

Can it be a Windows (Samba) Primary Domain Controller (PDC)?

Post by bob42 »

Hello All. Haven't yet bought a Bubba yet... need an answer to this question:

I know that Samba supports a 'master' mode in which it becomes a Primary Domain Controller. Can I put the Bubba's Samba server into this mode using the web-based admin interface?? If I have to do it by editing smb.conf, as a text file, will it then cause any problems with the web-based interface??

We run a small-office network with 10 user PC's. I would be very happy to throw away our company's Windows 2003 server and replace it with one of these little devices! I know that Samba can't act as an Active Directory server, but we don't really use any of the Active Directory features... running as an NT 4 server would be fine.

Hope to hear from you folks. Cheers.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

It shouldn't be do difficult to set this up yourself. I've once set up a pentium 75Mhz to be a PDC so Bubba should have no trouble. Read up on the documentation for samba how to do this. Editing the smb.conf file in Wordpad should work OK. However be aware that having Bubba as a PDC with roaming profiles (and I'm assuming you want that) will make your bootup times for your clients rather slow. Especially if you keep your Outlook files in your profile.