New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

dyndns etc

Want new functionality in Bubba? Discuss it here.
albert

dyndns etc

Post by albert »

A nice feature would be to have is a dyndns client (there are similar DNS services) which will update the IP number if your IP number changes (ie some internet providers change your modem IP number regularly). This will usually also work behind firewalls as long as the client can connect.

As resources do, these clients are usually small and don't gobble up much CPU power.

Would this be possible in a next update?

Thanks,

Albert
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

Yes!!!! Totally agree!
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

1. register a dyndns account
2. apt-get install ddclient
3. man ddclient
4. vi /etc/ddclient.conf
5. /etc/init.d/ddclient restart

good luck! :)
albert

Post by albert »

Yes thanks,

but wouldn't be nice to have control over it through the webinterface, ie making it a standard function?
johannes

Post by johannes »

Hi all,

Yes, it is on our "wanted features"-list, and now it came even higher in priority. Thanks for taking time to let us know what you think, it's valuable! :)
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
RealElwood

Post by RealElwood »

Hmm, i can't get this to work, i'm a total newbie to Linux, when i do step 5 this is what i get. I input the text and it starts prompting at the bottom, all good so far.

Press Enter and this is what happens, dyndns doesn't get updated??

What's wrong??? Is the interface wrong maybe??
Eek

Post by Eek »

the problem is you are still in vi
and not at the command prompt.
Type in: ":wq"

maybe instead of vi, you can use nano, which is more user friendly

Code: Select all

nano /etc/ddclient.conf
save the file and on the command prompt restart

/etc/init.d/ddclient restart
cheers
Eek
RealElwood

Post by RealElwood »

Eek wrote:maybe instead of vi, you can use nano, which is more user friendly

nano /etc/ddclient.conf
save the file and on the command prompt restart

/etc/init.d/ddclient restart
i don't get it, what's the point with
"vi /etc/ddclient.conf"
or "nano /etc/ddclient.conf"

I see all the text, am I supposed to change anything or what's the purpose of the commands, i couldn't find a save function with nano either, and i can't get out what should i press to exit?? I see ^X, but how do i execute that command.

Linux is pretty much all new to me as some might understand, it feels like the first time i sat infront of Dos 4.5 back in the 80's

EDIT: I managed to exit and there i could save the file, but when i do the restart function it doesn't work, is there anything wrong with the other code, is eth0 correct, or should it be eth1, i know that there's a function to see all interfaces but can't find it..

EDIT2: I've been a good Linux newbie and did some googling, i changed the file to look like this. Changed to daemon and aslo the checkip service, but still no response, I'm sitting behind a router.
Eek

Post by Eek »

how do you check if it works?
RealElwood

Post by RealElwood »

Eek wrote:how do you check if it works?
i tried to go to my hosts web address, and also i looked at my hosts at dyndns.com and the ip hadn't changed.

edit: finally it works, i just tried some made-up commands, "ddclient restart" was the magic one. Pretty obvious now....
RealElwood

Post by RealElwood »

I've configured my ddclient.conf so that it uses Daemon set to 300, does this mean that it should update my IP at DynDNS every 300 seconds, OR does it mean that it looks for changes every 300 seconds and updates when something has changed?

Reason for asking.
Yesterday it wasn't working, DynDNS had the correct IP, but somehow i didn't get redirected to bubba, however it worked if i used the IP address directly.

I then changed the IP at DynDNS just to test if it updated, it never did. Then i tried "sudo /etc/init.d/ddclient restart" I think it restarted but shouldn't that update IP at DynDNS???
RealElwood

Post by RealElwood »

The Saga continues!!

Now everything's working too fine, so fine that i get blocked from dyndns.org due to abuse.

I was trying if bubba updated the IP if i manually changed at DynDNS, so i tried different commands to get bubba to update.

The one that did it was "ddclient -force", but now it seems like bubba updates every hour or so even if IP hasn't changed which leads to me getting banned.

I've tried:
stop & start of ddclient, changing daemon values, rebooting bubba.

Do i have to uninstall ddclient to get this to work???
RealElwood

Post by RealElwood »

how can i get ddclient to start everytime bubba starts up?

Is there anything like the good ol' "autoexec.bat" we had in dos. Where you just can put in

ddclient start
?
carl

Post by carl »

RealElwood wrote:how can i get ddclient to start everytime bubba starts up?

Is there anything like the good ol' "autoexec.bat" we had in dos. Where you just can put in

ddclient start
?
You can put code into /etc/rc.local that will be executed on bootup.

/Carl
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com
RealElwood

Post by RealElwood »

carl wrote: You can put code into /etc/rc.local that will be executed on bootup.

/Carl
That file was empty is it supposed to be that?