New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Standalone backing up of Bubba

Want new functionality in Bubba? Discuss it here.
eeeuser1

Standalone backing up of Bubba

Post by eeeuser1 »

As bubba is a "server", it is the central store of users information (ok family information.)

It needs to back itself up like a real server, probably to a USB disk or a simple NAS disk, unattended. Not backing up to a PC etc. at the users request. We all forget!

Saying that, I ordered my bubba yesterday

:)

Jeff
Last edited by eeeuser1 on 04 Dec 2007, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

There's already a number of incremental backup solutions using Rsync that will do this for you. Look around, there's one one these pages here. I'm mysql currentlty also working on a similar solution that can hopefully integrate into the bubba web-interface at some stage, so it can be used by non-hackers also. An optimal solution would be to have some backup option shipped with bubba. Getting this completely problem-free (which is required if it's to be shipped standard) is a lot of work though.
eeeuser1

Post by eeeuser1 »

I've just bought a Qnap TS-209 pro for work,
Now I realise it's a different product for a different area.

One of its web based options is to set up syncing for a qnap directory to another share on other disks on a schedule.
You can add as many entries as you like for each seperate user, or area of the system.
Nice n easy, I can show a screenshot of the interface if anyone is interested.

Not complaining too much though, it does what it does and no more. Not like my bubba :D
jowie

Post by jowie »

Ubi wrote:An optimal solution would be to have some backup option shipped with bubba.
Could you elaborate on this please? What backup options are there in terms of shipping?

Personally I would just like a piece of software for Bubba that mirrored its drive to another drive on the network. Is that possible?
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Simply mirroring is super easy, but that is not the same as a backup! At the moment there are no shipped backup solution, but anyone with knowledge of unix shells can use rsync to copy to an external drive.

The main issue with backups that everyone here keeps on forgetting is that the backup drive needs a capacity that is significantly larger that the size of the drive it is meant to backup!

Ubi
paolol61

Post by paolol61 »

Good post Ubi,
but for the ignorant like me ??
Did you mind to post a sample :) of the rsync :?:
Thanks.
8)
jowie

Rsync

Post by jowie »

Is rsync intelligent enough to copy changes only, or is rsync simply just a copy, where you have to delete and start again each time?

Can you rsync across to an NAS?
Last edited by jowie on 21 Jan 2008, 06:42, edited 1 time in total.
efiggy

Post by efiggy »

I am using rsync and autofs to backup important folders to an 8GBusb flashdisk.

Basically my rsync script runs every 12hrs using the crontab. It rsync the the selected folders to my usb flashdisk.

This is my backup script.
rsync -avr /home/work /var/autofs/removable/usbdrive/backup

What it does is copy the /home/work(this is smb shared folders) to /var/autofs/removable/usbdrive/backup which is automounted. I decided to use autofs for the benefit of easy flashdisk access. No need to mount/umount.

My crontab file goes like this:
0 */12 * * * /usr/bin/backup_script

It runs the above backup script every 12hours.
eeeuser1

Re: Rsync

Post by eeeuser1 »

jowie wrote:Is rsync intelligent enough to copy changes only, or is rsync simply just a copy, where you have to delete and start again each time?

Can you rsync across to an NAS?
I know if you rsync between two linux machines with it installed, it's intelligent and hence very quick after the initial copy.

I have no idea if its done to a seperate non intelligent device.

Jeff
eeeuser1

Post by eeeuser1 »

efiggy wrote:I am using rsync and autofs to backup important folders to an 8GBusb flashdisk.

Basically my rsync script runs every 12hrs using the crontab. It rsync the the selected folders to my usb flashdisk.

This is my backup script.
rsync -avr /home/work /var/autofs/removable/usbdrive/backup

What it does is copy the /home/work(this is smb shared folders) to /var/autofs/removable/usbdrive/backup which is automounted. I decided to use autofs for the benefit of easy flashdisk access. No need to mount/umount.

My crontab file goes like this:
0 */12 * * * /usr/bin/backup_script

It runs the above backup script every 12hours.
I'm sure thats all the Qnap does. You set folders to copy from , folders to copy to (with login details of the samba share if necessary.) and a schedule.
But it makes it MUCH easier for most people to use.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Righto.
First of all, the manual for rsync is quite easily read (especially the extended bit at the bottom): http://optics.ph.unimelb.edu.au/help/rsync/rsync.html, so give that a read.

!!One thing to remember is that rsync always syncs one-way, never bidirectional!!

For an example command: my *guess* here (as I re-invent my rsync lines everytime again) is to simply use

Code: Select all

rsync --archive /home/user/important_files /mnt/usbdisk/backupdir
Hope this helps, let me know otherwise

Ubi
paolol61

Post by paolol61 »

Thanks Ubi,
One way is OK ;)
8)