New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

ETA Etch

Want new functionality in Bubba? Discuss it here.
jondoveston

ETA Etch

Post by jondoveston »

Hello

I dont want to seem like I'm hassling the developers but is there an estimated release date for debian etch? I have a new hard disk for my bubba and I dont know whether to wait to install it or not.

Thank you

Jon Doveston
Eek

Post by Eek »

Why wait?
jondoveston

Post by jondoveston »

It is my understanding that an upgrade from Sarge to Etch will wipe the contents of your hard disk. Is this not true?
Eek

Post by Eek »

Ah I got it.

No this is not true.

You just get newer versions of the installed packages.

cheers
Eek
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I think your right Jon. I believe there were hints that the OS and User Data would possibly be split/partitioned in which case all data currently on the disk would need to be wiped. Saying this I could be wrong though :roll: .
Eek

Post by Eek »

You don't need to wipe your disk to re-partion the drive.
tor

Post by tor »

We know the Etch release have taken somewhat longer than what we expected.

To clarify some parts here. What we are working on right now is three new install images.

The first one will be a pure Debian Etch minimal install. Only base packages and openssh server with well known root user and probably a fixed ip address. This for anyone who wants to customize there own system and is not interested in our Bubba functionality.

The second will be the same as the install image we provide today but based on Debian Etch instead. New here is a partioning which separates user data and OS, some polish on the base system and maybe some new features as well. This image will also reformat your harddisk in Bubba.

The last one is the same as the previous. A Bubba-image based on etch. But with the main difference that it will preserve user data, public storage and the web area. But will wipe the previous OS install totally. The tricky part here is that it will repartition the disk. This image is intended as a mean to upgrade an existing unmodified Bubba.

The status is as follows. The first two images are almost done and we expect to release a public beta of those, hopefully, this week. Then we have the last upgrade image. There the repartitioning part is still untested and is therefore a bit behind the others.

I hope this provides some light in the Etch issue.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
msx

Post by msx »

tor wrote: The first two images are almost done and we expect to release a public beta of those, hopefully, this week.
Wow that's a great news :P
I'm starting my backups today so i'll be ready to wipe all :P
msx

Post by msx »

btw, i have one of the 64MB bubba.. Is the ram enough for etch or it does have bigger memory requirements than current version?
osa

Post by osa »

It seems new packages are ready http://update.excito.net/pool/bubba-2/
Waiting for images...

Etch is comming :D