New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

More memory

Want new functionality in Bubba? Discuss it here.
LorenzoG

More memory

Post by LorenzoG »

Hi!

I'm thinking to buy a squeezebox duet which is depended on slimsever software version 7.0. Bubba has been tested with earlier versions of slimserver. However, the new version 7.0 needs more memory and the new spec states that you at least need 256 KB RAM.

My question is if it's possible to uppgrade bubba with more memory or if this is a processor limitation? Does Excito have any plans to supply a bubba with more power alternative more onboard memory.

Thanks in advance!
Lorenzo
johannes

Post by johannes »

Hi Lorenzo,

I am sorry, but the current Bubba has a hardware limitation, and cannot have more than 128 MB memory.

And yes, we do (of course) work on a follow-up Bubba, with release later this spring. This one will have no problems running slimserver 7.0. However, final specs and pricing aren't set yet, so unfortunately, I can't give you any further details.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
LorenzoG

Post by LorenzoG »

Thanks for your reply Johannes.

I suspected that it was a hardware limitation. Thanks for the additional information. I'll wait patiently :)

Lorenzo
jmv

Post by jmv »

johannes wrote: And yes, we do (of course) work on a follow-up Bubba, with release later this spring. This one will have no problems running slimserver 7.0. However, final specs and pricing aren't set yet, so unfortunately, I can't give you any further details.
Spring...spring ... spring :D

Any news ?
johannes

Post by johannes »

Well, spring is late this year, still snowing. ;)

No, but we are working hard on the finalization of the design, and plan to make the first deliveries in june. Official launch just before that. We'll probably release some technical information here soon as well, but not quite yet since everything isn't decided yet.
jmv

Post by jmv »

johannes wrote:We'll probably release some technical information here soon as well, but not quite yet since everything isn't decided yet.
Waiting for it. :)
Maybe before ... you can write some lines about the target or the philosophy of this new Bubba?
johannes

Post by johannes »

Yes, of course. The target is an updated Bubba, thus same basic functionality, but with better performance and a few new functions, such as wlan and dual nic's (=router/firewall functionality). Also better looking etc. And debian etch of course.

I see that people are curious, I'll check if we shouldn't release some more specs soon.
LorenzoG

Post by LorenzoG »

I'm still here and waiting patiently :D
jmv

Post by jmv »

johannes wrote:Yes, of course. The target is an updated Bubba, thus same basic functionality, but with better performance and a few new functions, such as wlan and dual nic's (=router/firewall functionality). Also better looking etc. And debian etch of course.

I see that people are curious, I'll check if we shouldn't release some more specs soon.
Waiting for it too :)

I am planning to use vPostMaster ( http://www.tummy.com/Products/vpostmaster ) to handle my emails (multiple domains)

I found it while searching for a Postfix greylist implementation.

Do you think the new bubba could handle this ?
Paul Peters

Post by Paul Peters »

johannes wrote:Yes, of course. The target is an updated Bubba, thus same basic functionality, but with better performance and a few new functions, such as wlan and dual nic's (=router/firewall functionality).
That would be a nice feature, albeit most people considering buy this sort of hardware probably already have a router, I didn't though ...

Wouldn't these router en firewall functionalities take up to much cpu and memory capacity?
Also better looking etc.
I think it is the best looking piece of hardware I have ever seen, and I got the beige one. I like the heavy simple block look of my Bubba.
I hope you are not thinking of streamlining it to make it look fast, like it is suppose to fly and give it complicated 'feet' for landing on the moon ...

Now my Bubba is sitting next to my new router and it makes the router seem like the dumbest ugliest thing on the world (It's a linksys wrt54g)
johannes

Post by johannes »

Regarding the looks we haven't went too far from the original design, it's still kind of a block with a minimalistic one-led front. And no, no moonlanding feet. :) Just an update that we think looks better and a little bit less industrial.

Images to be released as soon as we have them. :)
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Another interesting question: What are you going to call it? I think "Stix" would be a nice name for it. Or maybe "Hubba". How about a votation?

(These are important stuff you know :-)

/Daniel
Tim

Etch - Production Version

Post by Tim »

johannes wrote:Regarding the looks we haven't went too far from the original design, it's still kind of a block with a minimalistic one-led front. And no, no moonlanding feet. Just an update that we think looks better and a little bit less industrial.

Images to be released as soon as we have them.
Hi johannes,

I am also waiting to see this before I buy one. But, in the mean time, any news on when Etch goes out of Beta?

I have one Bubba with Etch (I can't get mail to work) that I use for "testing" (play) and back-ups; and one Bubba with Sarge that I use for the real stuff like mail, storage, etc. It would be nice to put them both into "production"... :)

/Tim
Eek

Post by Eek »

Hi
maybe you should post a post in the support section
because mail should work in Etch,
it works for me.
cheers
Eek

PS. I like the name-voting idea :D
Tim

Etch - Production Version

Post by Tim »

Hi Eek,

Thanks for info, I will have another look at mail.

But, I am still reluctant to put Beta software onto a production machine - I expect it's my fault for telling people for years not to rely on beta or "bleeding edge" software. I am such a wimp that I use Debian stable instead of Ubuntu on a desk top machine (actually the Desktop is a virtual machine on OS X). :wink:

/Tim