New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubba server a dead project?

Got comments on forum and website
artoo

Post by artoo »

Hi!

It is now a long time ago since there was an update to B3 server that wasn't just a bug/security fix. No new projects or features. Is this a dead project?
There are tons of "hacks" in the wiki that hasn't been built into the official release that should be prioritised.
If you lack the manpower, why not make this an opensource project?
I would like to see a Bubba Media center that is compatible with xbmc etc.

/David
Harry

Post by Harry »

Even this forum is relatively dead if you compare to say a year ago.
This is not meant as a statement, it's more of a sad observation.

Cheers Harry
DanielM

Re: Bubba server a dead project?

Post by DanielM »

Yes, I'm also beginning to think it's time for Excito to make some kind of statement here. Haven't heard a word in a long time about the B4 that I thought was supposed to be released in 2012 and as the OP says there is not much happening in B3 updates neither. I guess a lot of effort went into the V1 and hence the silence, but what happens to the old Bubba line?

Not meaning to whine here, I really love my Bubba servers, but they won't be the best alternative forever if nothing happens...

/Daniel
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Well from my perspective, my B3 is doing everything I want it to do so I don't touch it very often now. That's the reason I don't post as often these days.

I wouldn't expect them to bake every available hack on the wiki into the official release - that would be a nightmare for Excito in terms of testing and supporting everything and it would be pointless unless you could show that the majority of users would make use of them. Don't forget, the Bubba is marketed as what is essentially a black box that has all these features with very little set up. You don't even need to log in to the shell to just make use of the basic features.
Harry

Post by Harry »

My B3 is also doing everything i want it to do(at the moment) and I definitely see its advantages when it comes to size, noise, power consumption etc.
I just hope nothing goes wrong with it, in consideration to the low activity on this forum.
As a torrent downloader it works like a charm, unfortunately it is not as easy to get started with as Excito states it to be, and therefore not recommendable to any newbies.
The following is cut from Excitos own B3 features page, and my conclusion after reading it is:
Since all popular protocols for downloading are supported, either are Magnetlinks not a popular protocol? or there are no skills required to install and configure for instance Transmission? or Excitos B3 features page are very outdated and misleading?

"DOWNLOADS

Excito B3 comes with its own download manager, so you can use the server as a download station. The download manager supports all popular protocols like BitTorrent, HTTP, and FTP.

NO TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIRED

Excito B3 is designed with normal users in mind. Thanks to a simple and user-friendly wizard, you can set up Excito B3 literally in a matter of minutes. You don't need to tweak or install software either: everything is configured and ready to run right out of the box."
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Yeah, the stuff on the website is marketing blurb. It is not untrue, but a little stretched.

It's interesting to note that exactly two years ago a couple of high-profile user sent a letter to the excito crew in which we stated our concerns, which were not much different from todays observations. This did actually improve interactions and communications with Excito, but a fair few promises (such as a bug tracking list) were never substantiated.

Excito is just a small crew, but as they aim to play along with the big boys that should not count as an excuse. Meanwhile QNAP and other competitors brought a whole array of new products to market just this year. And I agree that, although you can use the built-in torrent downloader, magnet links are now so mainstream that the limitations of that native FTD are painfully obvious.

My own company is not much smaller than excito, and I know that a successful branch (like Excitos V1) can quickly de-prioritize other product lines. But you can only get away with that for a limited time.