New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Delete forum account and data

Got comments on forum and website
GNOE Inc..

Delete forum account and data

Post by GNOE Inc.. »

is there a way to delete my forum account and data?
GNOE Inc..

Re: Delete forum account and data

Post by GNOE Inc.. »

With data I don't mean the comments I made, just my account and emailaddress. Is that possible?
johannes

Post by johannes »

Phew, what a thread. :)

[Edit: Deleted some flaming posts.]

Turns out it is possible to delete a user without touching the posts, so that's done now. Appears to be working, GNOE Inc.. is not clickable anymore. For the sake of it it would be fun to dig through the database to see if the details are still there but no time right now.

With bubbalove,
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

The hilarious bit is that the data you removed are all anonymous, but you left the bits he actually wanted removed. The OP was worried about data mining and 'back-end' statistics. Because all the posts are still marked with the same username, statistics are easily retraced, and the server logs will be able to match up his IP address to the posts. From a data analytics point of view, nothing really changed at all. But the OP wanted his account "canceled' and that is what he got. Talk about a red herring.

I think it is however wise that the forum states somewhere that user names and IP addresses are collected when people sign up or log on, and people should not expect that cancelling accounts results in the complete removal of this data. For example, this would require a manual alteration of ALL backups as well.