New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Preventions to cut out spam?

Got comments on forum and website
GaryL

Preventions to cut out spam?

Post by GaryL »

Hiya

I’ve only been on this forum for a very short time, but I can’t help noticing the amount of spam threads that get posted, its kinda shocking for all the size of the forum to be honest.

Is this something that can be tightened up on?

It makes having a sneaky peek of the excito forum at work at bit more risky :roll: :lol:

Plus it doesn’t look good for any newbies to the site.

Regards,
Gary
Last edited by GaryL on 15 Sep 2007, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
tor

Post by tor »

Hi GaryL

This is an ongoing problem that really p*sses us of as well. Unfortunately we are out of good ideas on how to fight this on the current installation of the forum. Any tips on what to do is very apreciated.

Unfortunately it seems like the spams we receive nowadays is done manually since we require quite a lot to get posting rights.

We will move this forum to a new hosting location in a not to distant future and then we will have the option to do a new install or choose another forum. But until then our options are somewhat limited.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

This problem is very common for phpBB

I'm afraid it's not manually. Hacks for phpBB are widespread and only require and email answer bot.
One thing that helps is this: http://www.artsoft.org/phpbb_ka/.

Another thing that works is adding a password on the webserver. You can then give the password in the dialog or in some site preceeding the dialog (preferably as an image). Although this is also hackable, it is so uncommon that few bots search for this. Also, when the forum is behind some protection the spiders won;t find it and attack it.

hope this helps
Ubi
excitotest3

Post by excitotest3 »

Ubi,

Nice suggestion with kittenauth Implemented now :) Lets hope it will stop some of the spam.

/Tor