New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubba home video/audio server solutions

How are you using your Bubba? Got ideas for a cool modification? Share!
theWebalyst

Bubba home video/audio server solutions

Post by theWebalyst »

Hi,

I bought Bubba for backup and am slowly putting it to that and more uses. I would like to be able to use it to store video, audio, photo etc files to be accessed via TV and/or HiFi, and the solution seems to be to have a second device that can see Bubba's file system.

Question is: what are the options for the device and connecting to Bubba. I have Bubba|2 WiFi, so my connection options are:
- USB
- LAN (RJ45)
- WLAN

So what suggestions/set-ups do you have for a devices that link to Bubba and allow us to access stored media on TV and HiFi?

It would be great to compile a list of options (device, connection method, funcitonality availlable, UI/control method(s)). This would be a great resource, and a great way to sell more Bubbas! So I would like to invite Excito to support compilation of a list, perhaps as part of the Wiki. I have limited time to do this myself, but am happy to collect people's posts together into a summary page and update it on the Wiki from time to time.

Please post your suggestions here, and we can work out what to do with them later.

I suggest the following fields (example values included, the model numbers are made up!)

Short Name: TV & Audio using spare Laptop
Short Description:
I have (not really - this is an example) a T41 ThinkPad Windows laptop, connected to my TV and HiFi, and linked to Bubba via USB. Video is taken from an S-Video output direct to the phono TV input, and sound from the laptop audio out plugs into the HiFi.
Player Hardware: Sony CDE45 TV, Sony R345 HiFi
Intermediate Hardware: ThinkPad T41 Laptop (Windows XP SP3)
Bubba Hardware: Bubba|2 WiFi
Video Connection: Laptop S-Video out
Audio Connection: Laptop audio out
Bubba Connection: USB
Functionality: Plays Bubba video/audio files through TV, audio files through HiFi
User Interface: Any TV/audio playing software on the laptop. I use blah blah.

Snip this to contribute...

Code: Select all

Short Name: 
Short Description:
Player Hardware: 
Video Connection: 
Audio Connection: 
Bubba Connection: 
Functionality: 
User Interface: 
Mark
Binkem

Re: Bubba home video/audio server solutions

Post by Binkem »

Hi Mark,

You posted this in het Bubba ONE page, so I suggest you move this to the appropriate page. As of your question, I personally would suggest tow types of devie: one is the network media player (as built by quite a number of manufacturers, but I would probably go for the AC Ryan Play-On HD (mini)). This has the drawback that it may only be operated via your TV. If you want to be able to listen to music without having to turn on the TV you might go for a network audio player like the Logitech Squeezebox, Philips Streamium or Sonos Zoneplayer. But then again all may depend on your budget.

Martijn
theWebalyst

Post by theWebalyst »

Is Bubba One not capable of use in this way?

You are right I didn't realise I was posting to the Bubba One group, but I think my post might apply to both One and Two?

Mark
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

Bubba ONE will function as well, though it may be a bit too slow when trying to stream HD content?
ian

Post by ian »

We have successfully played HD video files downloaded using the Torrent client over our 11g network to a Popcornhour, without any problems with stuttering, lipsync etc., in case this helps at all...
theWebalyst

Post by theWebalyst »

ian wrote:We have successfully played HD video files downloaded using the Torrent client over our 11g network to a Popcornhour, without any problems with stuttering, lipsync etc., in case this helps at all...
Which model Popcornhour? Bubba? How connected? Any issues encountered?

Thanks

Mark
ian

Post by ian »

Sorry, should have been a bit more specific.

In our network we have the following:

Server
* Bubba one

Audio devices
* 2x Roku Soundbridge (needs to be connected to a HiFi)
* 2x Freecom MusicPal (has built in mono-speaker, only uPNP [ie. Mediatomb] compatible)

Video devices
* Popcornhour A110

The Popcornhour was bought without an HDD, but we had some problems so I bought a 1TB HDD, to which "problem" files can be copied if necessary. Some ripped films have been copied directly here rather than to the bubba, for ease of use.

The audio players all work very well; the Soundbridges are more powerful, as they can connect to both Firefly (DAAP/iTunes server on the bubba) and Mediatomb (uPnP sever). Firefly is rock-solid, mediatomb is a bit less reliable, and I have to regularly (once every 2-3 months) delete its database and rebuild it; no big deal, but something worth bearing in mind.