New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

PS3 + Bubba

How are you using your Bubba? Got ideas for a cool modification? Share!
dan13l

PS3 + Bubba

Post by dan13l »

Just an FYI: With Bubba and the PS3 running the latest firmware, they work together like a dream.

Mediatomb does an awesome job of streaming content from Bubba to my PS3, so photos, video etc all works.
tor

Post by tor »

Nice to hear.

We are aware that the latest firmware upgrade to PS3 contains a UPNP client. We also heard that it had some problems with Mediatomb. So if you thought it worked nice before it hopefully will work even better after our next firmware upgrade, which contains the newest version of Mediatomb with a lot of improved PS3 support :)

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
dan13l

Post by dan13l »

Sounds awesome, thanks Tor!
TazUk

Post by TazUk »

Sorry to break into an old thread, but any chance of you sharing your setup or the steps you took to get media sharing up and running? I've just picked up a PS3 and would like to share my media from Bubba.

TIA
TazUk
--
The 'Net is a waste of time,
and that's exactly what's right about it.

William Gibson
pelle

PS3 + Bubba

Post by pelle »

TazUk wrote:Any chance of you sharing your setup or the steps you took to get media sharing up and running? I've just picked up a PS3 and would like to share my media from Bubba.
There is basically one step you must take:
1) Edit the bubba/mediatomb "config.xml" found in /etc/mediatomb

This is the way I did it:

a) Connect to Bubba with Putty (dont use "admin" as login name)
b) Type "su" and "excito" to be able to save/edit files
c) Type "cd ../.. /etc/mediatomb" or equivalent to goto the right directory
d) Type "cp config.xml config.xml.backup" to make backup in case of..
e) Type "nano config.xml" to open the file in Nano Editor
f) Add the following to the server section of your config.xml: <protocolInfo extend="yes"/>
g) Also, you need to add the equivalent mapping to the extension-mimetype section of your config.xml, for example to get support for avi-files I added: <map from="avi" to="video/divx"/>
h) Save config.xml
i) Reboot your Bubba (by typing "Reboot") or simply just kill and restart Mediatomb in the webadmin interface
j) You are now Set To Go, please also note that you have to Add content in the Mediatomb Database to get the PS3 to recognise the files

NOTE: USE AT OWN RISK.
I do not want to be held responsible if something goes wrong :-)
Be sure to make a backup file and if you do not understand linux, putty etc be sure to google them up.

OTHER SOURCES:
MediaTomb forum http://sourceforge.net/forum/?group_id=129766

COMMENTS:
A) About Mime-mapping: Other mappings (like "avi to video/x-divx") are just variations and would probably work to (I am told).
B) About support for other files: I suggest you read on in the Mediatomb Forums, currently I have no support for M3U or WPL -files and I am looking for some way to get the VOBs to play one after the other.
C) The current version of Mediatomb holds support for PS3 but is not yet implemented in Bubba, there is another thread on that matter. Maybe all of the steps above, or some of them, will be un-necessary in upgrades to come?

With Hopes that this could be of help to someone.
If so, please let me know.

/Pelle
squadra

Post by squadra »

Mediatomb says it uses srt files if it starts with exact same videofilename. I have this all set but under options i can't select the subtitles on my PS3. Is it possible? It streams my divx perfectly btw.
Thanks
Jin

Post by Jin »

[quote="squadra"]Mediatomb says it uses srt files if it starts with exact same videofilename. I have this all set but under options i can't select the subtitles on my PS3. Is it possible? It streams my divx perfectly btw.
Thanks[/quote]

This feature is not part of the UPnP standard but a proprietary extension that we first saw on the D-Link DSM-320 and later on the DSM-520 units. The A-100 Popcorn Hour also implements this, the PS3 does not.

So, this feature has to be supported by the client, otherwise it will not work.

As far as I know the PS3 only supports subtitles that are embedded into avi files.

Kind regards,
Jin
squadra

Post by squadra »

Hmmm i think there must be another solution... :-) Did anyone tried to install: http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/ on his/her bubba2?
Jin

Post by Jin »

[quote="squadra"]Hmmm i think there must be another solution... :-) Did anyone tried to install: http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/ on his/her bubba2?[/quote]

The other solutions are - insert the subtitles into .avi files, I think the PS3 supports that, or transcode the stream using VLC and the soverlay option, which will blend the subtitles into the stream.

Kind regards,
Jin
abigali

Re: PS3 + Bubba

Post by abigali »

What PS3 games are good for kids as young as 4 and 8? We just got a PS3 for Christmas and we'd like to get some games that even our little ones can play. Is there anything available for PS3 that might work?