New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Webmin on bubba

How are you using your Bubba? Got ideas for a cool modification? Share!
stevehodge

Webmin on bubba

Post by stevehodge »

I have been using webmin to manage my old Linux server (which ran RedHat8). It is quite convenient for storing and running various preset commands, and also for setting up cron jobs, browsing and amending files and looking at the logs, all over the web.

Can you install webmin on the Bubba? There seems to be a Debian version of webmin, but what about the fact that the processor is ARM not i86; or some other problem
msx

Post by msx »

i've installed it and use it daily.
iirc, i installed it directly from the sources avaiable at webmin web site.
anyway, webmin is made with perl or some other scripting language and is architecture independent (and in fact it is a little slow :P )

remember that if you want to publish it on default https port as i did (my workplace firewall only allow that), you have to reconfigure apache not to run stuff on that port (by default it runs excito web application).
stevehodge

Post by stevehodge »

Many thanks - webmin website here I come!
kmess

Post by kmess »

Okay - I'll bite. I've installed webmin, and cannot get it to work over the local LAN. This is the first time I've tried to use it over the LAN, and potentially over the Internet, rather than on a stand alone dedicated machines.

What am I missing? :(

TIA,
Kevin
stevehodge

Post by stevehodge »

I had a bit of trouble at the beginning. I found that bubba was binding port 10000 to ftd, so webmin could not run properly. Fixed it by changing the ftd configuration file, and it runs now. It does run much more slowly than webmin running on my Redhat Linux machine (on the same LAN and accessed from the same windows PC) Quite why I can't see.

An odd thing too - although I have changed the machine name with webmin to something that suits me if I put bubba into my browser it still finds the basic bubba page. There is obviously something hardwired in there
kmess

Post by kmess »

Thanks for the heads-up. It honestly didn't occur to me that something else would be using this port. I may try reconfiguring webmin instead. Since it typically uses 10000, moving it would make it a little harder to locate. :)

I'll post a follow-up once I get back to the LAN and reconfigure it.

Regards,
Kevin
kmess

Post by kmess »

Problem resolved. There were two issues.

The first issue was as you mentioned - the port being used. Running the following command:

$ nmap -sS 192.168.1.x

yielded the following results on my machine:

Starting nmap 3.70 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2007-09-15 20:41 PDT
Interesting ports on 192.168.1.x:
(The 1651 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT STATE SERVICE
22/tcp open ssh
80/tcp open http
139/tcp open netbios-ssn
427/tcp open svrloc
443/tcp open https
445/tcp open microsoft-ds
548/tcp open afpovertcp
10000/tcp open snet-sensor-mgmt
MAC Address: 00:03:1C:xx:xx:xx (Svenska Hardvarufabriken AB)

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.758 seconds

Seeing that port 1000 was available (I wanted a port < 1024 for security reasons), I edited /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf to change the following lines (in diff format):

-port 10000
+port 1000

and

-listen 10000
+listen 1000

The second problem I encountered is that I use privoxy. Privoxy was preventing me from accessing the webmin page. Simply adding the local LAN address, 192.168.1.x, to the list of addresses that should bypass the proxy solved this problem.

Webmin is up and running!

Thanks again for the heads-up.

Kevin
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi guys,

Did any of you configure webmin to run under apache rather than it's own perl web server? If so, was there a noticeable performance improvement?
Any caveats?

Cheers
kmess

Post by kmess »

The short answer - No. But after seeing the raw speed (!) of webmin using the Perl mini-server, I'm interesting in trying this as well. I would think it would have to run faster under Apache than it does now.

I won't have time for a day or two to tackle this, but I'll post back what I discover...

Kevin
Peat

Post by Peat »

Thanks for enlightening information, BUT... I still have some questions:
I have the Webmin server up and running, version 1.180 (isn't there a more recent version available?) Second; I don't recognize myself in this ancient interface - I can't find any servers like apache, or sendmail (postix?) like I am used to from other servers. Am I just expecting too much? Please advice.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi Peat,

I'm sorry, but I can't give you much further advice. I uninstalled the thing after a week, because the performance was horrible on the Bubba.
I do seem to remember that there was a free test session available, linked from the webmin webpage, where you could try it out.
Look for that, and if it is not what you are after, then don't bother installing it on the Bubba.

If you do find it useful, you must try to make it run with Apache on Bubba, because the integrated webserver that comes with webmin is just too slow.

Best regards,

Cheeseboy