New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubbamon hits Firefox

How are you using your Bubba? Got ideas for a cool modification? Share!
6feet5

Bubbamon hits Firefox

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi all,

I've been playing around a bit with extension development for Firefox lately and the result is: BubbaMon - the Firefox extension :)

The main purpose was to make it easier to add new downloads but I soon added features similar to the Soundbridge version I made. Anyway, the files are now available for download, enjoy. I hope you find it useful. Files and instructions on how to install them are available at http://thevoid.webhop.info/bubba/firefox/, my fresh homepage (dusted off my limited HTML skills :)). I've done my best to test the extension (mainly in Linux but I've done some testing in Windows as well) but this is my very first Firefox extension and debugging javascript when writing extensions turned out to be a bit more complicated than I had imagined, so there are probably a couple of bugs yet to be discovered. Let me know if you find any of them.

/Johan
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Very cool.
Under what license is this distributed?
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi,

It is released under the MPL/GPL/LGPL trilicense.

/Johan
Kramer

Nice

Post by Kramer »

This I'm gonna test when I get home :-) NICE work!
ian

Post by ian »

Hi Johan,
I installed your plugin, but it doesn't seem to work.

Every time I enter my username and password in the Options menu, the password field ends up containing only a single *. Once this has happened, every 5 seconds a popup appears, saying that the username and password don't match. The problem with this is that this dialog takes the focus every time, meaning that you can't correct the problem; in fact, the browser becomes completely unusable, and the only way to close it is via the Task Manager (Win XP).

While your extension looks like a nice addition to Firefox, as it stands it is completely unusable (for me at least)...

Anyway, keep up the good work,
Ian
JohanSalo

Post by JohanSalo »

Hi Johan

nice fox addon,
i have the same problem as above, im running ubuntu.

have you eny ides?

/Johan
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi Ian,

That sounds weird. I had some problem with password management in the first two versions when running in Windows. The popup problem you describe sound like you're using an old version. The latest, v0.3, should only bug you once every startup and then be silent until you change any value. Which one is it you're trying? Also, what version of Firefox are you using and is this Windows or Unix?

/Johan
ian

Post by ian »

Hi Johan,
thanks for the quick reply. I was using the latest version from your website, with Firefox 2.0.0.12 under Win XP. I've just downloaded the same version again, and this time it's working fine. Very strange.

Anyway, thanks for the app (I've been using bubbamon with my 2 soundbridges for a while now, and find it extremely useful).

Cheers, Ian.
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi again,

The plot thickens..... I'm not sure what could be causing this. I've only experienced this in early versions. I guess it is a good thing it is working now though.

@JohanSalo: Maybe reinstalling it will solve the problem for you too. If you haven't done it already, would you mind examine what firefox think your password is? Select Edit->Preferences->Security->Show Passwords. Locate "chrome://bubbamon" (probably at the top of the list) and press Show Passwords. Is this even close to what it should be? Are you using any unusual characters in your password (something not 0-9, A-Z or a-z)?

/Johan
JohanSalo

Post by JohanSalo »

hi, ill upgrade the bubba to the latest version and now everything is working gr8.

Thx for a perfect addon to FireFox, its gr8

//Johan
ian

Post by ian »

Johan,
I've noticed something strange. I'm using bubbamon to display info on both my soundbridges and I'm also using your Firefox plugin. However, the information displayed is different; bubbamon (soundbridge) states that 14% of the disk is full, while bubbamon (Firefox) gives a value of 18% instead. It's not a serious problem, but I thought you might like to know anyway...

Ian.
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi Ian,

That sounds weird, but the two versions use different sources. The firefox version uses the usage value reported by the df command and the firefox version uses the values reported by the web interface on your bubba. Not that it explains why they differ ;-)

Could you show me the output from df (log on to bubba and execute the command) and also the values from the web interface? Maybe it'll shed some light on this.

/Johan
Kramer

Error

Post by Kramer »

Hi
When I installed hddtemp I get "Starting disk temperature monitoring daemon: no disks with monitoring capability were found."

According to hddtemp -D I have a Model: ST3320620A which is in the hddtemp.db

bubba:/# hddtemp -D /dev/hda

================= hddtemp 0.3-beta13 ==================
Model: ST3320620A

field(1) = 0
field(3) = 0
field(4) = 27
field(5) = 0
field(7) = 11
field(9) = 78
field(10) = 0
field(12) = 23
field(187) = 0
field(189) = 0
field(190) = 45
field(194) = 45
field(195) = 84
field(197) = 0
field(198) = 0
field(199) = 0
field(200) = 0
field(202) = 0

If one of the field value seems to match the temperature, be sure to read
the hddtemp man page before sending me a report (section REPORT). Thanks.

But when I check i Bubbamon in FF the temp says UNK*

What I'm doing wrong??

/Anders
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi Anders,

Did you add the harddisk to the hddtemp database?
If not, add the following line to /etc/hddtemp.db:

Code: Select all

"ST3320620A"                            194  C  "Seagate Baracuda 7200.10 320GB"
/Johan
Kramer

Thanks for the quick reply

Post by Kramer »

After I posted my cry for help I noticed that my disk was't in the .db after adding it I dont get the error device not in .db but I still get UNK* when using FF.

/Anders