Bubbagen live-USB for B3 updated (version 1.13)

Discuss development on Bubba
Gordon

Bubbagen live-USB for B3 updated (version 1.13)

Post by Gordon » 05 Jan 2020, 16:06

Hi,

I've just released version 1.13 of the Bubbagen live-USB image for B3 on GitHub.

This release fixes a number of installation issues and eases maintenance by Bubbagen owning key portage config files required to keep the system healthy. A major change with this release is that the `bindist` USE flag and associated settings have been pre-removed from the configuration as these proved to be a nuisance for live environments. Do note that this will cause your installation to want to rebuild several packages because of course the distributed image does obey the bindist restrictions.

Key change in this release is the swap from iptables to nftables as the firewall back-end. Should you prefer to revert to iptables, simply delete `/etc/portage/package.use/nftables` and rerun world updates.

Note: This will most likely be the last version of Bubbagen to feature built-in torrent support. Should someone be willing to review the libtorrent code in the filetransferdaemon package and bring it up to date with current versioning I will be more than happy to keep it up, but to prevent issues with future upstream updates I can no longer support this feature the way it is.

Known issues:
  • When changing the time zone the web interface may show you an incorrect time on some pages (the extensible clock on the right is actually javascript and thus should show your client's time rather than the B3's). To align them all you should restart the B3 (or at least apache2 and bubba-adminphp services).
  • Changing the network profile may completely destroy networking on the B3 if you have wifi enabled or added custom interfaces and/or bridges. If you need to change the profile please do so before making any changes to the default network setup and then never touch it again.
The supplied kernel is Gentoo LTS version 4.19.52. All packages have been brought up to date as of Jan 05, 2020 ¹)

Enjoy,
Gordon

¹) Some packages withheld due to patent restrictions or because the newer versions are incompatible with core Bubba functionality.
Last edited by Gordon on 11 Jan 2020, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

ahoff

Re: Bubbagen live-USB for B3 updated (version 1.13)

Post by ahoff » 11 Jan 2020, 11:16

I get "404 page not found" when trying to download the image :-(
Åke Hoff
Örskogen
Sweden

Gordon

Post by Gordon » 11 Jan 2020, 14:40

Sorry. There was a tiny mix-up with file naming. Should be fine now.

PS did you download an earlier release of Bubbagen? Might be interested to know that if you are running an older version you don't actually need to write the image to a USB stick. The new installer allows that you loop mount the unpacked image file on the existing system (below /home) and run the installer from there. Make sure to follow instructions displayed on screen, particularly when upgrading or converting from systemd.

ahoff

Post by ahoff » 11 Jan 2020, 15:32

PS did you download an earlier release of Bubbagen? Might be interested to know that if you are running an older version you don't actually need to write the image to a USB stick.
No, I have not, but it's good to know until the next release of BubbaGen.
I am an old Bubba user who started with Bubba server (Bubba 1) and now I want to test something other than Debian. I have some B3s lying around that I bought from the states. Ideally I would like the B3 to boot and run the system from a USB-stick and have the internal hard drive as /home, but it seems a bit tricky to get to. Playing with the u-boot can be "Risky business" as MouettE says.
Åke Hoff
Örskogen
Sweden

Gordon

Post by Gordon » 11 Jan 2020, 16:14

Yes, you really need serial console access to manipulate the u-boot environment. I actually do have one live system that boots straight from USB, but that's only to overcome the problem that the installed SSD is not recognized by u-boot. The USB really only contains the preboot kernel that allows me to access the SSD and boot the real system. I would in fact not recommend running from USB for a prolonged period of time because this type of storage is really not suited for frequent writes like the Linux kernel does.

ahoff

Post by ahoff » 12 Jan 2020, 03:42

I would in fact not recommend running from USB for a prolonged period of time because this type of storage is really not suited for frequent writes like the Linux kernel does.
Ok! Thanks for the warning.
Åke Hoff
Örskogen
Sweden

ahoff

Post by ahoff » 16 Jan 2020, 05:13

Hmm. I only get to the 3rd stage "purple"... I've tested both images with two different USB keys :-( Trying a cheaper one... Nope.. No sucsess :-(
Åke Hoff
Örskogen
Sweden

Gordon

Post by Gordon » 16 Jan 2020, 09:38

Right. Seems I was a bit too thorough reviewing the files in /etc and I wiped the executable bit from the start/stop scripts in /etc/local.d

The system should in fact be up, it's just the front led colour not being changed to indicate that it has reached its running state.

I'm also noticing now that Apache web server is only binding to tcp6, which is not an issue in my network and I can in fact also connect by specifying the ipv4 address in the URI, but should it cause problems in your network just let me know.