New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubba|two

Discuss development on Bubba
johannes

Post by johannes »

GettinSadda: Yes, we _are_ using the -E version, I just forgot to mention it.
andersos: That's still not decided. Freescale is releasing several interesting devices soon and we are following their development before deciding that.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
andersos

Post by andersos »

Ok, I thought I remembered that crypto acceleration had been mentioned earlier. So the faster cpu could be a long time away - like maybe next year?
I only want to decide if I buy now or if I can wait for the faster cpu ...
johannes

Post by johannes »

Yes, the faster cpu will most likely not happen this side of christmas.
Eek

Post by Eek »

Well I am not waiting... I want my christmas present EARLY !
:D
paolol61

Post by paolol61 »

LOL, or we can ask to move Christmas at the 25 - 8
:lol: :lol:
8)
bert

Post by bert »

Hi johannes

Can you give us a very rough idea of when the new Bubba Two units will be arriving at your warehouse?

I'd like to use one, in part, as a backup solution. My PC is showing signs of age and I'm a bit worried that my hard drive might fail before I get my new Bubba...
johannes

Post by johannes »

Well, august is the best estimation we can give right now. Can't say if it's early or late, we have learned that optimistic timeplans only bite back at you, so we do our best to be realists about this.
bert

Post by bert »

Thanks - I think I can wait till August :) .

Good luck with everything - the Bubba's an excellent product and I really like the way you guys have utilised Debian and online forums like this to open it up to a community of users.
Boy

Post by Boy »

Just a request from an existing BUBBA user (I have two). I note that BUBBA|TWO uses Lighthttpd instead of Apache (Hooray!!), and Horde instead of Ilohamail (which seems to have been a 'quiet' project for a while). Is there any chance that the planned Etch edition of BUBBA will use this new software?
Is there any information on this Horde topic ?
johannes

Post by johannes »

Boy wrote:Is there any information on this Horde topic ?
Sorry for missing this question. It is unlikeyly that we will ship Horde with exsisting Bubba because of performance issues.
Tim

Horde Performance issues

Post by Tim »

johannes wrote:
Boy wrote:Is there any information on this Horde topic ?
Sorry for missing this question. It is unlikeyly that we will ship Horde with exsisting Bubba because of performance issues.
Hi Johannes, do you think the performance issue is down to one of the standard Horde configurations needing to use MySQL? MySQL is slow on the existing Bubba and sucks up almost all available resources. I would expect that use of the Lighttpd web server, as used by BUBBA|TWO, would make more resources available for other applications in the existing Bubba server.

I am very far from being an expert on this stuff, but the Horde documentation suggests that you can (but this is not recommended) configure the server not to use a database by configuring PHPlib to use shared memory for sessions - This would be similar to the current Ilohamail setup. Alternatively the small/light/fast SQLite database can be used (see horde/config/conf.xml file), or any other PEAR or MDB2 listed database. A casual look through the Horde documentation implies that its webmail server uses only standard PHP5 - which supports SQLite natively.

As I say, I am definitely *not* an expert on mail systems - But I would be happy to try it out on my 'spare' Bubba if someone could give me some idea of where to start - It looks as though Ilohamail has died, whereas Horde is a mainline project...
zhaeon

mysql

Post by zhaeon »

stick with mysql, its good for the soul.
btw, has anyone tried openSSI with these puppies?
Tim

Re: mysql

Post by Tim »

zhaeon wrote:stick with mysql, its good for the soul.
btw, has anyone tried openSSI with these puppies?
No, it isn't :) - I might not be an expert on *mail*, but I have been doing SQL stuff since the days of PDP-11s and VAXen. Experience tells me that Oracle, DB2 or PostgreSQL are good for the soul. If your soul needs pain try Sybase or Informix on Debian. Just because MySQL is "easy" to set up on Debian, doesn't mean that you should go there - It is a trap that will bite when you need to install another database and find that MySQL bears only a passing relationship to other SQL databases :cry:

If you think you need to run openSSI on Bubba, you may have made the wrong decision with your choice of hardware :wink:

Incidentally, I ran the computing needs of a large chunk of the research division of a very large public utility (my bit was a couple of hundred users) with rather less computing power than a single Bubba offers. It was in the days of green screens, the main difference was that that amount of computing was priced at a level equivalent to many hundreds of thousands of euros...
zhaeon

Ah, meet the next gen

Post by zhaeon »

On the flipside, MySQL has marketshare.
PostgreSQL sounds like something I could bite into. ODBC, JDBC, C, C++, PHP, Perl, TCL, Python and Ruby Referential integrity.

Informix was, of course, conceived in a very cold, bitter cellar.

OpenSSI and Bubba? -- yes, single image clustering defeats the purpose of Bubba's nice and simple standalone units. I thought openSSI and Bubba|Two would be a great way to get experience with dual cluster root failover -- probably should pick some itx hardware which is more cheap.
GettinSadda

Re: Ah, meet the next gen

Post by GettinSadda »

zhaeon wrote:On the flipside, MySQL has marketshare.
Yeah, but so does Windows. That does not make it a good choice for Bubba!