New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubba | 3

Discuss development on Bubba
beneix

Bubba | 3

Post by beneix »

I've been lurking on this forum for some time while pondering a purchase decision. I am getting close to pushing the button on a NAS device and Bubba sounds great, but what would be very useful would be to know from Excito -- in general terms -- what sort of development pipeline you have planned?

There does seem to be some pent-up desire on the forums for key development steps such as an updated version of Debian, faster processor for better throughput, etc. While I recognise that Excito wouldn't necessarily want to divulge or commit to too much detail on future developments, a planned release cycle in general terms seems reasonable to ask for. It would help me decide -- if a new (hardware) version of Bubba is expected this year, I'll probably hang ten, but if the next product is not expected until 2Q11 I'll probably get the Bubba | 2 now.

I am thinking something like: "Development on Bubba | 2 continues with a Ruby release planned for second quarter 2010; Aiming for release of Bubba | 3 in third quarter 2010, with Bubba | 4 planned for late 2011 or early 2012..."
Veksi

Re: Bubba | 3

Post by Veksi »

Likewise, it'd be nice to know. I really like the current software (I'm not a day-in day-out Linux tinkerer) and hardware configuration options, especially the 802.11n wireless, but I very much prefer a stronger processor (Tegra 2/ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore?). That is, if heat doesn't become a serious problem as can be read on the SheevaPlug forums.
johannes

Re: Bubba | 3

Post by johannes »

I guess you have noticed now that B3 is actually released! Sorry but we can't spread such information too long in advance for various reasons, but we will try to improve on openness in general.

Check out:
www.excito.com
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)