New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Minimal wheezy install images for b3

Discuss development on Bubba
Stryker

Re: Minimal wheezy install images for b3

Post by Stryker »

I feel very stupid now, because it works as expected (wifi-image again).
But this time I used the "unzip tarball to drive"-method instead of the rescue-key-installer.
Something must have broken the last time while installing.
Ping works, login as root did too.
NMAP tells me that the system has no open ports, except those running a service (only SSH), which is the debian-default. That means there are no open ports, there is just no additional active security.
You can remove that addendum from your first post

Now I am stuck at the "so, now what?"-Phase.
I will probably figure it out eventually, but could you give pointers as to where you added your own modifications to the system?
  • Where did you define the shutdown-alias, in case I want to alter or disable it?
  • Which files do I have to modify/delete in order to correctly disable the wifi-hotspot?
    I already changed /etc/network/interfaces from the rescue-system to make the spare ethernet-port use DHCP (it was set to manual)
  • What does exim do in its current configuration?
    I have not used exim before, so this is more of a general question. I know it is a mail transfer agent and is used in setting up a mail server. But that is about it.
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

Stryker wrote:
  • Where did you define the shutdown-alias, in case I want to alter or disable it?
This alias is defined in /root/.bashrc:

Code: Select all

alias halt="/sbin/write-magic 0xdeadbeef && reboot"
Stryker wrote:
  • Which files do I have to modify/delete in order to correctly disable the wifi-hotspot?
    I already changed /etc/network/interfaces from the rescue-system to make the spare ethernet-port use DHCP (it was set to manual)
To disable the wifi hotspot, you need to :
  • Edit the /etc/network/interfaces file to remove the bridge br0 and add your eth1 configuration directives
  • Remove the hostapd package
Note : If you intend to reactivate the wifi hotspot in the future I recommend you to keep the hostapd configuration, which is fine-tuned for the b3 platform.
Stryker wrote:
  • What does exim do in its current configuration?
    I have not used exim before, so this is more of a general question. I know it is a mail transfer agent and is used in setting up a mail server. But that is about it.
I am not an exim expert. I have reconfigured it with dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config and selected the local mail only profile. In /etc/aliases you will also find an alias which redirects all mail for root to admin. That's how far as it gets. If you want to know more about exim in general, the Debian wiki can be a good start.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Hi,

it is me again.
Since the release of kernel 3.15 (with a workaround for the buggy uboot) draws near, I was wondering whether you have any plans on building a new image?
Or can you give me the instructions to do so myself?
When I search for tutorials and howtos on the subject of building kernels and applying patches I never know, whether the given instructions are accurate or I have to take additional steps, because my case is not reflected in them.

What I know, is that the default excito-debian on the B3 is based on a regular debian squeeze with kernel 2.6 and some additional patches for enabling the LEDs.
How do you now get a debian with kernel 3.15 and the excito-patches?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

There's a bit more to it than just enabling the leds. Patches include creating .config for building the kernel and its modules and setting the correct ARM version for the Kirkwood processor. Not at all arbitrary code therefore and you will need to make this work on 3.15+ kernel to get a running system.

You should definitely keep an eye on the Sheeva Plug community, who use the same Kirkwood SOC and are in fact the people that got the uboot issue addressed by the kernel group.
switchgott

Post by switchgott »

HI friends,

tell me, is it possible to install wheezy without update the uboot?
Can we run the old kernel 2.6.34-4 on it?

So i have only to istall it like a rescue system with usb stick?

Big thanks...
ahoff

Post by ahoff »

switchgott wrote:HI friends,

tell me, is it possible to install wheezy without update the uboot?
Can we run the old kernel 2.6.34-4 on it?

So i have only to istall it like a rescue system with usb stick?

Big thanks...
1:Yes:

ahoff@bubba33:~$ uname -a
Linux bubba33 2.6.39.4-11 #1 Tue Apr 3 21:45:12 FET 2012 armv5tel GNU/Linux

ahoff@bubba33:~$ cat /etc/*-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="7"
VERSION="7 (wheezy)"
ID=debian
ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
HOME_URL="http://www.debian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.debian.org/support/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.debian.org/" 
2:Yes
Åke Hoff
Örskogen
Sweden
switchgott

Post by switchgott »

Thanks...
sounds realy good!
Any you can install newest pakets from debian 7?

But we have to be carfull with kernel update ?
switchgott

Post by switchgott »

Hi,

is it possible to install minimal debian only on one partition like pc installation?

How must i modify the config installer??
antagonismorg

Post by antagonismorg »

I am attempting to install this on my B3. I followed the instructions to create the rescue key. I replaced bubbaroot-120412-1524.tar.gz with the nowifi image. I unplug the B3, remove the Ethernet cable and plug in the USB drive in the top slot. I then power on the B3. The system powers on as excepted with the LED first flashing purple, then a solid blue. However, the system does not get overwritten with the new image. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Patrick
johannes

Post by johannes »

In order to start from USB (to start the installer) you need to hold the button when applying power. The LED should be green during this process, not purple (which is normal boot).
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
antagonismorg

Post by antagonismorg »

Thank you. I completely missed the reinstall wiki entry. I am attempting the install now. The light was green, but has now moved into a steady blinking purple.
johannes

Post by johannes »

blinking purple means trying to boot, but cannot find anything bootable. (The same happens if you disconnect the disk and reboot). Not sure why though, but your reinstall obviously failed for some reason.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
antagonismorg

Post by antagonismorg »

What is the recommended mechanism for debugging the issue. Most of the resolutions for steady purple light appears to be try a different USB stick. However, I am able to successfully boot into the rescue system and mount the hard drive. Is there a logfile or something similiar which will detail the boot error?
tuxlifan

Post by tuxlifan »

[@MouettE or others]

Would you happen to have also a Minimal Wheezy system for B2 at hand?

TIA,
tuxlifan

PS: is there a trick to search for B2 or bubba|two related posts in the forum?
I only get the error message that the words have been removed because they give too many hits... which makes searching for B2-specific posts very tedious :?
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

tuxlifan wrote:[@MouettE or others]

Would you happen to have also a Minimal Wheezy system for B2 at hand?
As a matter of fact I have a B2 which runs wheezy so that would be possible. I will make new image for the b3 in the future and I'll include the b2 as well. However you should expect some delay because I don't have my units with me right now and it's going to take a little time to build the image. Perhaps you should try to manually upgrade your b2 to wheezy by removing excito-related packages, doing the apt-get dist-upgrade magic and upgrade the kernel using the kernel provided in the kernel upgrade thread.