New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

SMB3

Discuss development on Bubba
mijn

SMB3

Post by mijn »

Is Excito software going to support SMB3?
This protocol has a number of great atvantages in comparisson to SMB2.x or 1.x
Ubi

Re: SMB3

Post by Ubi »

I thinks its very unlikely Excito will upgrade to samba4 in the (near) future. Personally I do not see any reason to upgrading considering the market it is supposed to be used for. But you're quite welcome to compile the samba4 sources yourself on the B3 and get it running. Let us know how you'll get along
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Actually, the regular Squeeze as installed on the B2|3 only offers experimental support of smb2 through Samba 3.5 and it is not enabled in the default config provided by Excito.

To enable it you should add the following line to smb.conf:

Code: Select all

max protocol = smb2
However, as noted, support is experimental. To get full support one should enable backports and install Samba 3.6. There is no Samba 4.x for Squeeze and this will most likely require upgrading to Wheezy, which is currently something of a challenge but may be possible when kernel version 3.15 is released.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

i thought the OP wanted smb3, not smb2
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I realize that, but as it currently does not even have smb2 support he could at least get some of the options he's aiming for without too much effort. My guess is that attempting to compile Samba 4 and get it to run on a 2.6 kernel will most likely cause a lot of frustration.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Fair enough. Looking at the specs the difference between 2and 3 may not even be noticable on a b3...