New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Open source B4 development

Discuss development on Bubba

Would you be interested in an open development of a B3 successor?

Yes!
63%
Maybe...
25%
No!
13%

Total votes: 8

86ivar

Open source B4 development

Post by 86ivar »

I wonder if anyone would be interested in open hardware development of a B3 successor.
I could assist for the on board power-supply/regulators, PCB layout and casing design.
Comment what you think about the idea, maybe you think better nas options exist already?
stasheck

Re: Open source B4 development

Post by stasheck »

You know, as much as I love the idea, I don't quite think it's feasible. To design board+chassis+software is a considerable investment. The only way it could work is to use existing board design and design just the chassis, then have it produced - which is easy for plastic shell, but uninteresting (we'd need active cooling), but for nice aluminum for fanless design... impossible, unless you know who to sell at least a 1000 of those.
86ivar

Re: Open source B4 development

Post by 86ivar »

Thank you for the feedback! I think for the casing the cheapest option could be to use some big hdd casing off ebay and then implement the Circuit board. CB is another thing, I know custom design CB got cheaper in the later years due to the pick and place machines. And usually you can have scematics for the development boards free to use too. But I am not an expert on that field.