New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

"Portable" version of Logitech Media Server (B3 only)

Discuss development on Bubba
Gordon

"Portable" version of Logitech Media Server (B3 only)

Post by Gordon »

Well not exactly portable, but close. I've set up a repository on Github with a complete CPAN tree compiled for Perl 5.20 on the B3. Combined with the logitechmediaserver-7.8.0-noCPAN archive from the Logitech download page this will result in a full running version of LMS on your B3. The only external packages you need are Perl 5.20 (duh) and SQLite.

There are no fixed tree references in this software, so you can put it anywhere you like. Debian users will probably want to put it in /usr/share, others in /opt. If you are running Sakaki's gentoo-on-b3 a logitechmediaserver-bin ebuild will be available after you sync the bubba overlay (automatic when syncing the portage tree with gentoo-on-b3 >= 1.7).
fredrikj

Re: "Portable" version of Logitech Media Server (B3 only)

Post by fredrikj »

Debian users will probably want to put it in /usr/share, others in /opt.
Gordon, perhaps you meant /usr/local? I've never heard of anyone promoting /usr/share as a location for locally installed software on Debian. I cant see that the FHS recommends using /usr/share for that purpose either.

I'd recommend that Debian users also use a subdirectory of /opt, or perhaps even better /srv, for software that they install without using the package manager (apt, dpkg, etc).

https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-ma ... s-2.3.html
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I can't really comment on that. I think the Debian builds provided by Logitech themselves place the software in /usr/share and this is also the case with LMS provided in the original Bubba OS (Debian Squeeze). An alternative install method would be to grab an existing build for your platform, which in the case of Debian means you only get support for Perl up to 5.8, and then overwrite the CPAN folder with the files from my Github repo.

BTW: As it happens, Perl 5.22 just got marked stable on arm, so I'm currently preparing a 5.22 tree for it as well.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I'm happy to inform that release 5.22 has been tested and is now public. This release should run with both Perl 5.20 and 5.22.

Hate to say that the 5.20 release proved to hold a missing dependency: Types::Serialiser. If you are on Perl 5.20 you may either add that module yourself or grab the 5.22 release instead.