New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubbagen Live-USB 1.9.0 and 1.9.5 released (Linux 4.4.26 LTS)

Discuss development on Bubba
Gordon

Bubbagen Live-USB 1.9.0 and 1.9.5 released (Linux 4.4.26 LTS)

Post by Gordon »

Season's wishes to you all.

With the many free hours people are likely to have in the coming days I thought this might be a good time to publish an updated release of bubbagen

The new release features kernel 4.4.26 and is patched for Dirty CoW. All packages are synced to the Gentoo tree as of 22 December 2016. There are two images you can choose from:
  • Version 1.9.0 uses the well known OpenRC init system, similar to what the original Squeeze based Bubba OS used. The core network configuration is supplied by Gentoo netconf which is very versatile. If you need dialin support (including PPPoE) this is probably the best version for you.
  • Version 1.9.5 features the "new" systemd init system. The core network configuration is supplied by Gnome NetworkManager which is less versatile but does the job pretty well. It also comes with a network monitor that allows you to force DHCP renewal by simply removing the network cable for a second or two and then plug it back in. This allows for easy switching between a router supplied DHCP address and the internal configured fallback address 192.168.10.1.
Bubbagen is meant to be a plug in replacement for the original Squeeze based Bubba OS. Because one of the design principles was the wish to drop MySQL as the database back end for core components, Bubba Album had to go. I hope you like the alternative I added to the images: Singapore Gallery.

Have fun,
Gordon