New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Suitable Hardware & Software solution for Developing???

Discuss development on Bubba
GaryL

Suitable Hardware & Software solution for Developing???

Post by GaryL »

Hi all

Well basically I a complete Linux newbie, I’m afraid MS Windows is where my knowledge lies (that’s where 4 years of college gets you).

I have a few plans to furthermore extend Bubbas functionality to suit my needs. And unluckily for my Bubba I’m certainly not afraid to give things a go.
This being the case I can foresee myself probably reinstalling the Bubba OS every other week after messing something up. And to be quite honest, that’ll not really ideal.

I suppose the ideal solution would be to have a second bubba, but I really don’t think I could afford that, so I’m after the next best thing. But what would that be?

Recommendations on what hardware would be suitable, preferably small/fanless, and what Debian distribution to get would be nice?

Regards Gary
msx

Post by msx »

lol :)

well, i think it depends on what you're going to develop. I think you're talking about software development.. In that case i don't think you're going to mess with the OS (it's not like windows that you can take down the OS with a broken application :P).
Probably Bubba won't be very confortable for programming. I think it would be best to do your work on a PC with linux and then compile it on bubba..
If you're speaking of hardware development, i don't know the subject so i don't have advices :)
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Developing was quite possibly the wrong choice of word, for the time being anyway. lol

For the time being to get me started, what I'm really be after would be a setup by where I can install and tryout programs/apps/utilities, even peripherals etc, etc, safely to see if they work and suit my needs first before attempting to install them on my Bubba.
tor

Post by tor »

If you just want to play around. A debian PC would do perfectly. A little bit tough regarding peripherals though. Since the HW differs.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
PeterTuson

Post by PeterTuson »

I configured an old laptop to run debian to prototype what I wanted to do before I bought my bubba.

As a result I have given up using MS Windows.

I still prototype changes on my laptop before installing on my bubba.
peter