New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Any news on a super Bubba ?

Discuss development on Bubba
Clive

Any news on a super Bubba ?

Post by Clive »

I've had my Bubba for almost a year now and I know in the past there has been talk about ideas for a 'Super Bubba'

Is there any news on this ? I would definetely buy another Bubba which had a slightly higher throughput. Not that it's a problem with my current Bubba but occasionally streaming video seems to cause problems if Bubba decides to do other disk access type things at the same time.
talkeasy

Post by talkeasy »

Yes - would be great to get an update on this, please.
doubleUS

Post by doubleUS »

Same here!

- Wilfred -
johannes

Post by johannes »

Ok, now it's time to give some more detailed specs to our beloved customers:

The new Bubba will be available in small volumes for purchase late june, and with full availability in august. The principles are the same, a minimal and quiet home server with one 3,5" internal disk. Still based on Debian (Etch now, of course). The physical size and weight is almost exactly the same. Major news are higher performance (allowing new applications) and more exclusive, better looking design. We think so at anyways. :)

The key changes/updates are:

- New design. Still clean, just updated. Matte-black rubber paint with white laser-etched logo printed on the front. Still just one front LED.
- Power PC CPU @ 333 MHz (higher clock speeds available later on), with crypto acceleration. This allows for high throughput speeds also with encrypted protocols (https, ssh).
- On-board DDR2-333 memory, 256 MB
- Better populated back-plate, with the following:
* Dual gigabit ethernet, allowing firewall and router functionality (link leds visible)
* WLAN option (not available until august)
* Two USB high speed connectors for printer. With some Linux knowledge, the possible applications are endless with cheap USB accessories, such as DVB receiver/recorder, audio player, security camera server etc.
* Internal disk is now SATA, allowing new low-noise and low-power versions to be used
* Two eSATA connectors, allowing raided setups in many configurations

Software for the above functionality will be avalable upon release. New functionality will of course be included in the future, released by just pressing the "update" button in the web interface. Among our plans are automated web-controlled backup, a name service, more media servers (supporting even more player devices) etc.

Price isn't set finally yet, but it won't be much more expensive than the current one.

[Edit]:
Forgot a few things:
- The wlan will be able to handle access point functionality as well.
- Power still around 10W-12W depending on disk.
Last edited by johannes on 15 May 2008, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Eek

Post by Eek »

where can we sign up?
cheers
Eek
jmv

Post by jmv »

+1. I am very interested in ...

I already have 2 Bubbas ...one blue ... one ivory ... Any family discount? :)
BloodDragon

Post by BloodDragon »

sound pretty good :) can't wait

any chance it will support wireless n, or just b+g?
johannes

Post by johannes »

The plan is b+g to begin with, awaiting stable true-n hardware, but nothing is finally decided. Comments on that?
talkeasy

Post by talkeasy »

Fantastic news.

Any indication yet on the expected power consumption?
johannes

Post by johannes »

Yes, measurements show that a "normal" usage power consumption will be around 10W with medium size disks. About 12W with 750 GB. However, using USB devices and WLAN will increase the power somewhat.

This is measured on the 12V input. About 1-2 W will add for losses in the power supply.

Final figures and measurements will come later.
paolol61

Post by paolol61 »

:D :D :D :D :D
Looks fantastic, any nice discount for old bubba user will be welcomed by us
:D :D :D :D :D
any way let us know where we can go to order :D
8)
andersos

Post by andersos »

So nice :)

About the cpu - do you already know how much later the higher clocked cpu will be available? How fast will it be? The crypto acceleration - will it also accelerate f.ex. Truecrypt?

About wlan - I want n. Do you know approximately how long until n would be available?
helder

Post by helder »

Very nice!

You have another sale here.
andersos

Post by andersos »

And about eSata - are port multipliers supported?
andersos

Post by andersos »

So we're in the middle of June and soon the end (of June :D) is here. Is the first batch of the new Bubba sold out?