New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Want info on new Bubbas

Discuss development on Bubba
schonhult

Want info on new Bubbas

Post by schonhult »

There have been a few clues to a new better and improved bubba on his forum. How far in the future, and what kind of hardware will it have?

I am considering buying one, but atm, a homebrew itx solution would be easier, faster and more functional. Although lacking in smallness, beauty and energy efficiency.

I want info so I can decide if I should wait for bubba 2.0 or buy something else.

/Schönhult
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

Just to give some update on this since we have been somewhat quiet on the subject.

Yes, we are working hard on the Bubba next generation. Without promising anything our goal is to be ready sometimes early summer. (We have prototypes up and running. And are currently working on the "industrialisation" of the design)

Hardware will of course be better. This is a completely new platform, not a refreshment of the current Bubba platform. So all specs will have better values CPU, network (Dual NICs), more and faster memory etc.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
Clive

Post by Clive »

Great ! Looking forward to seeing the specs of this.

Count me in for a pre-order :D
paolol61

Post by paolol61 »

:shock: Wonderfull :o
Let me when I can preorder my next bubba ;)
8)
CJNE

Post by CJNE »

Sounds promising. how energy efficient will it be compared to the current version?
AC1

Post by AC1 »

One guaranteed sale here too.

The sooner the better. A few details to give us something to look forward to would be gratefully received.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Regarding energy consumption it will be slightly higher, but still in the same ballpark, we have measured about like 12W on the prototypes, with a 320 GB disk. However, with SATA disks there are more models to choose from, and some of the PVR versions use less energy than our current PATA drives. So in the end, consumption will probably be about the same.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Oooh, put me on the waiting list. I'll send you money now if it will make it happen faster!
paolol61

Post by paolol61 »

:D :D :D :D
SATA this is a greats news I had an hard time searching for 500Gb PATA :(
:D
I found some Maxtor green HD form 750Gb and up
we my be able to use these new HD on bubba ;)
( they speendown to slow speed automatically when not in use to save enrgy)
8)
GettinSadda

Post by GettinSadda »

Slower spin, but not stopped, could really help Bubba.

Hopefully what these drives do is they will run slow after a while at idle, then will still do reads and writes when at the low speed, but will spin up to full speed if more than a token amount is written (with no noticeable delay). If so then hopefully the general "idle" flow from the Bubba will keep the drive slow-and-low.

Anyone know more?
paolol61

Post by paolol61 »

I found the driver, so is not maxtor but Western digita, sorry but I had the wrong info :(
thi is the link to the product specification
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=337
Hope this help to understand how this works :)
8)
CJNE

Post by CJNE »

johannes wrote:Regarding energy consumption it will be slightly higher, but still in the same ballpark, we have measured about like 12W on the prototypes, with a 320 GB disk. However, with SATA disks there are more models to choose from, and some of the PVR versions use less energy than our current PATA drives. So in the end, consumption will probably be about the same.
Great news, i was afraid the more powerful CPU would mean significantly higher power consumption. Sign me up for one :).
paolol61

Post by paolol61 »

Any news on the NEW BUBBA ??? :?: :?:
Thanks,
Paolol
8)
confused

dual disk?

Post by confused »

Hi All!

I really like the bubba, but my reason to plan on another brand is the single disk-ness of it.
Now I saw rumours that the new version might have a dual disk option..
Can anyone confirm? If that is the case, I might wait a bit, otherwise I'm going for something else..

Thanks in advance!
andersos

Post by andersos »

Early summer is May no? :) I found Bubba during research of which NAS to get, and got excited when I read about it. This is what I really need - 24/7 (really) low power bt capable box. I can't wait to see the new Bubba!