New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

JTAG cable / Kernel upgrade

Discuss development on Bubba
bjorn

JTAG cable / Kernel upgrade

Post by bjorn »

Hi Excito guys,

I'm thinking about do some testing with a new kernel on my bubba, but before i begin i want to make sure i have a way of fixing it in case i mess up and brick it.

Do you have the schematics for a JTAG cable that'll work with Bubba?

I've looked at different types, both buffered and unbuffered but am unsure which type to persue.

Any pointers would be nice :)

/Bjorn
pa

Post by pa »

Hi,

We have been using TRACE32 from http://www.lauterbach.com for lowlevel development.
But this is a fairly exensive tool.

However the "wiggler" _should_ work, but we have not tested it.

Checkout this tutorial http://www2.amontec.com/sdk4arm/ext/jly ... 061124.pdf regarding setting up free tools to develop on arm based systems.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Hi Björn,

Another way to reprogram the flash without a running system is to use the AT91's built in boot-loader. This however requires special software to run at your workstation, but requires nothing more in hardware than a slightly modified USB cable. We can release this software and a short howto if this would be of interest?
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

Hi again,

Yes, I am very interested in the AT91-bootloader stuff with modified USB-cable. If you were to supply some info on that topic i would be very happy, and i'll sure post my results on this forum.

Although i think i'll check out the JTAG as well. This is a great possibility to learn :P Thanks for the tips about the "wiggler".

Best Regards
Bjorn
csp

Post by csp »

johannes wrote:Hi Björn,

Another way to reprogram the flash without a running system is to use the AT91's built in boot-loader. This however requires special software to run at your workstation, but requires nothing more in hardware than a slightly modified USB cable. We can release this software and a short howto if this would be of interest?
Yes please... I'd also be very interested in this.

Colin
johannes

Post by johannes »

Ok, sorry for the delay, but now it's done. See this howto for details.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
csp

Post by csp »

johannes wrote:Ok, sorry for the delay, but now it's done. See this howto for details.
Many thanks, I'll take a look...