New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Python

Discuss development on Bubba
dougie

Python

Post by dougie »

Is Python pre-installed on Bubba? If so, which version.
msx

Post by msx »

no, it's not installed by default, but can be installed from debian repositories, it should be version 2.3.5
dougie

Python

Post by dougie »

Thanks, msx. I'll install it from the repositories, as soon as my server is delivered. :D
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

If you use the "testing" repositories you can apt-get python 2.4.4

:)
dougie

Post by dougie »

I'll use the 'testing' repositories, as I'm using python 2.4.3 at present.
Thanks to you both for your replies.
msx

Post by msx »

bjorn wrote:If you use the "testing" repositories you can apt-get python 2.4.4

:)
Uhm i may be wrong but iirc it's not good to mix different releases of debian. on a "stable" installation you should only use "stable" packages.
Maybe the admin can correct me if i'm saying something stupid :D
dougie

Post by dougie »

Thanks for mentioning that, msx. I hope the admin can clarify this for me, as I wouldn't want to 'break' my server before I even get started. :cry:
tor

Post by tor »

Hi dougie,

I should not recomend mixing installed packages between stable, what Bubba runs today, and testing which is the soon to be released Debian Etch.

The main reason for this is that the newer packages most likely depend on newer versions of a lot of libraries which are not compatible with the other applications that run on Bubba.

Do you absolutely require python 2.4? If so i would recomend you to look at Debian Backports which provide newer packages to the currently stable Debian Sarge.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
dougie

Post by dougie »

Hi Tor

I'll just use the stable package. I only require a version of python greater than 2.2, so the stable package will be fine.

Thanks.

Dougie
dougie

Post by dougie »

Hi Tor

When I try to install any of the python packages from the repositories, I get the following message:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
python2.3: Depends: libreadline4 (>= 4.3-1) but is not installable
E: Broken packages

This happens with python2.2 & 2.4

Any ideas?

Dougie
dougie

Post by dougie »

Hi Tor

I just realised that when I ran apt-get update, it only connected to the excito repositories. For all the Debian repositories I got a "connection timed out" message. I've tried updating twice, but I can't connect to Debian. I did uncomment the Debian lines in the /etc/apt/sources.list
I assume 'libreadline4' is not available from the excito repository.
dougie

Post by dougie »

After numerous attempts I can now connect to the Debian update repositories, but still get a timeout on the main repositories. I went to the Debian site and downloaded /sarge/main/binary-arm/Packages.gz
Can I copy this to /var/lib/apt/lists and gunzip it?
tor

Post by tor »

Hi Dougie,

Sorry for the late reply.

As you found out we dont have any other sources than our own enabled by default.

A bit strange that you get timeouts on the sources we have by default. What you should do in this case is chose a mirror closer to yourself.

Take a look at this page, http://www.debian.org/mirror/list, regarding choosing another mirror for standard Debian packages.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
dougie

Post by dougie »

Thanks Tor.
When I changed sources.list to point to the UK mirror, I connected okay. :D
Still having a problem getting libreadline4, so Python won't install. The error recommends I run '--fix-missing'. I'm not very familiar with apt, as I'm used to rpm. (I've just moved to SimplyMepis on my main machine, but I use Synaptic on that.) I can't find anything on the Debian site about '--fix-missing'. Do you know how to use this command?

Dougie
dougie

Post by dougie »

Tor

I've checked on the UK mirror, and the libreadline4 file is there:

/debian/pool/main/r/readline4/libreadline4_4.3-11_arm.deb

I guess it's just a connection problem, so I'll keep trying.
This sure is a good way to get to know apt-get! :lol:

Thanks for all your support.

Dougie