New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Checking disk temperature (for BubbaTwo)

A collection of tips on howto tweak your Bubba.
carl

Checking disk temperature (for BubbaTwo)

Post by carl »

(mostly direct copied from the old thread)
The hard drive in your BubbaTwo is the most sensitive part, it is recommended to keep the temperature as low as possible. According to the disk drive's data sheets, the operating temperature should not exceed 55°C (131°F) during operation, measured at the disk itself. However, keeping the temperature even lower will ensure a long life. Make sure that you don't place Bubba directly on top of or under other hot equipment, and remember to keep the bubban in it's box, as it acts as coolant.

All disk drives has built in temperature sensors. One way to check the temperature is to use the application hddtemp.

Installation

Using ssh, log on to BubbaTwo (as your regular user). Type

Code: Select all

su
to become root. The root password is

excito
Type

apt-get install hddtemp
You will get a screen asking for some settings. Following the default choices works good.

Now you're done! To check the temperature, type:

hddtemp /dev/sda
It should answer something like:

/dev/sda: DW CDW2300SJ2-P2BD 0: 50°C
(above was measurred on a boxless BubbaTwo, thus the temperature is rather high, on an other, it might show:

/dev/sda: TS832051SA: 41°C
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com
jsh

Post by jsh »

Hi Carl,

My drive on Bubba Two seems to consistently run hotter. When I had had installed the drive in my diskless Bubba, I had trouble getting the heat pads installed, and so they are missing. Would you expect this to have a significant impact? If so, do you have any advice on how best to get the pads in?