New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Using Sony Bravia televisions with Bubba|Two software ver. 2

A collection of tips on howto tweak your Bubba.
JC

Using Sony Bravia televisions with Bubba|Two software ver. 2

Post by JC »

Asked by another forum member, I will try to give a short description of how to make Bubba|Two work with the crappy implementation of the DLNA protocol used in Sony Bravia products. Thanks to some great work from Excito and developers of the open source minidlna server, this is made pretty simple in the new Bubba|Two software version.

1. Make sure that you are using latest and greatest version 2 of the Bubba|Two software.
Go to the Status page under Settings and confirm that Software Version are 2.0.x
No matter what, you should make sure you got the latest updates from Excito by going to Software updates under Settings and update.

2. SSH into your Bubba|Two from you internal workstation.
I you are using Linux you just ssh right from a terminal by: ssh your-bubba-account@bubba.local
your-bubba-account should of curse have SSH enabled from the GUI.
If you are on a much less feature rich operatingsystem like Windows, please have a look at the Bubba|Two manual in section "Custumizing Bubba - SW & HW".

3. Now you are logged into Bubba|Two you change to superuser by: su
Enter the su password according to the manual section mentioned above.
:!: CAUTION: Be very careful now you are logged in as superuser, you could easily destroy your Bubba|Two completely, making a reinstall from USB storage necessary.

4. Update the package lists by: apt-get update

5. Install the "minidlna" package from the standard repository by: apt-get install minidlna

6. Now your are done with the Bubba|Two part, quit your ssh session by: exit (done twice)

7. Go to your Sony television and go to "Networksettings" and search for a server.
Could be somthing like:
[HOME] -> 'Settings' -> 'Network Settings' -> [+] -> 'Server Display Setting' -> [Options] -> 'Update List'.
Your Bubba|Two shoud now show up in the list as 'BUBBA|TWO DLNA Server', and you can exit the settings by: [HOME] and go left on the menu to either 'Photo', 'Music' or 'Video'. Under either of these you should now find the 'BUBBA|TWO DLNA Server'.
:shock: ATTENTION: According to the Sony support pages for Bravia TV Sony DLNA only supports a crimpled subset of media formats for Photo: JPEG Audio: MP3, LPCM and Video (only newer models): MPEG2PS, MPEG2TS, AVCHD. As minidlna doesn't do transcoding you need to make sure that your media comply with those, and pay attention to that your Sony firmware version could play a role too - newest not necessarily equals bedst.

:idea: Restarting the Bubba|Two server could make minidlna stop running, which seems to be a small bug in the minidlna package, starting it before network is fully initialized. To manually start it after a Bubba|Two startup or restart, go through step 1 to 3 above, and then execute: /etc/init.d/minidlna start

The bug could be fixed manually after installation, but should and hopefully will be fixed in the minidlna packet some time. :wink:.

:roll: Manually fixing the startup bug include going through step 1 to 3 above, and then changing the daemon startup timing by first removing automatilcaly startup: update-rc.d -f minidlna remove
and then enabling automatically startup slightly changed from default: update-rc.d minidlna defaults 21
jobbe

Re: Using Sony Bravia televisions with Bubba|Two software ver. 2

Post by jobbe »

Alternativ is to install TwonkyMedia server. This enable you to create a setup specific for you Sony Bravia.
jonte

Re: Using Sony Bravia televisions with Bubba|Two software ve

Post by jonte »

JC wrote: 5. Install the "minidlna" package from the standard repository by: apt-get install minidlna
Is minidlna in the standard repository for the B3 aswell, can't seem to find it?

//Jonte
pcrene

Post by pcrene »

Hello

Correct, the B3 does not seem to know the minidlna...

Rene
B3 1T + B-Stor 2T, B2 1T as backup
40 users active....
Opensat4all.Com
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

I have uploaded a completely untested minidlna package for b3 as well. Let me know if it works.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
cbote

Post by cbote »

Hi team,
I have receiver my first bubbe b3 server, this is great!!. very low noise.. "below zero" :)

I have a advanced linux user and i used to make home computers "friendly" to anti-technical-girlfriends and "cable-haters" :-)

Since a few years i'm testing with home media servers, first with small pc boxes with hardware mods, console hacked and bla bla bla.. Last two years i'm working at home with nslu2 flash server with linux embedded. 0 Db noise (except attached 2 Tb hard disk with audio & video).

I think MINIDLNA is a great alternative to any media server for small devices. Two things
1) it works with a piece of memory. I worked with nslu2 with only 32 Mb, bit torrent, samba, nfs, apache & ftp.. and minidlna working fine with a lot of file formats
2) minidlna is easy to compile for all plataforms, easy to configure, easy to debug.. and easy for all

I surprised with i logged with root account into the box and the second app that i tried to download was in sources.list cache.

it works fine. I can play avi,mpg,mkv .. perfectly

Great job for compiling minidlna to bubba! Please, maintain it in the future!

I'm still reading forum for knowing why the embebbed uPnP/DLNA servers cannot decode any file that i have into the disk ..

Thank you..

And the good news, it works perfectly in my samsung C series, another samsung B series. I still cannot test with Sony , but i will try it in a few weeks
jonte

Post by jonte »

I installed the Minidlna package, but since I changed name in the conf file I can't find the server anymore. Does this make sense at all? Anyway, I was wondering where I can get ahold of the original conf file that installed with the package on the B3, and try again.

//Jonte
jonte

Post by jonte »

Any ideas? Still can't seem to get minidlna to work, networked devices are unable to find the B3 as a DLNA-server.