New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

truecrypt

A collection of tips on howto tweak your Bubba.
Asad

truecrypt

Post by Asad »

Did anyone successfully install Truecrypt on B3 Server?

I get this error after installing from their website:

/usr/bin/truecrypt: cannot execute binary file
Cheeseboy

Re: truecrypt

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi Starlight,

Without knowing what truecrypt is, or how you installed it, this is what I suspect:

You downloaded binaries from their website and tried to run them on your bubba.
I looked and they do not offer pre-compiled binaries for the armv5tel architecture, only for x86.
So it will fail. If you want to run their software, you will have to find it compiled for the CPU you want to use it on, or compile it yourself.

Best regards,

Cheeseboy
Asad

Post by Asad »

Oh, that makes sense.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi again,

Having nothing better to do on a Saturday, I tried compiling truecrypt on the B3.
Having spent more time on this than I think is sane (specially as I don't want this software), I must at least document it:

- Download the source http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads2 into a directory created for it's purpose (in my case truecrypt)

- gunzip and then untar the thing:

Code: Select all

niklas@b3:~/truecrypt$ tar xf TrueCrypt\ 7.0a\ Source.tar

- Move into the source directory:

niklas@b3:~/truecrypt$ cd truecrypt-7.0a-source/
- Install the stuff it needs:

niklas@b3:~/truecrypt/truecrypt-7.0a-source$ sudo apt-get install build-essential pkg-config libfuse-dev libwxbase2.8-dev wx2.8-headers wx-common wget
- Get the pkcs11 headers it doesn't find even if you follow the instructions in the Readme:

niklas@b3:~/truecrypt/truecrypt-7.0a-source$ wget ftp://ftp.rsasecurity.com/pub/pkcs/pkcs-11/v2-20/*.h
- Compile it:

niklas@b3:~/truecrypt/truecrypt-7.0a-source$ time make NOGUI=1
Linking truecrypt

real	16m36.116s
user	15m37.980s
sys	0m28.410s
Wahey!
The next step would be "make install", but I'm not going to do it. I do not trust the person who wrote this make file, and I do not want to clean it up manually...

Hope someone will find this useful!

/Cheeseboy