New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Any good advices before changing distro on a B3?

A collection of tips on howto tweak your Bubba.
DragonOneDK

Any good advices before changing distro on a B3?

Post by DragonOneDK »

Hi all.

Not sure if this is a double post, but I cannot find the first post I made..
If this turns out to be a dublicate, please feel free to deactivate this Topic. :-)

I've got at B3 with 1 TB disc and a corresponding 1 TB E-Sata attached running in a RAID setup.

I'd would like to change to a more recent distro if possible and dont really have the needs for a lot of the services the original distro provides.

I've read about the Debian Jessie image ( https://forum.excito.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5871 ) and it looks promising, but I'm not the most experinced linux hacker around, so before I venture into this I have some questions I hope some of you more knowledgeable guys could help me out with.

I would like my system to end up with following features:

Automatic backup of given parts of data - hence the RAID setup.
This is primarily images and varios documents.

Access to fileshares from various Windows machines (Samba etc)

Optional running as a printserver as well.

I'm playing with some webdevelopment as well, so I also need Apache2, Nginx, PHP7, MySQL, git

So - the one million dollar question is:

Would changing to Debian Jessie be able to support my needs?

My greatest concern is on how to setup the raid function - the rest should basically "just" be software to install..

What does the jury say to this? :)
Gordon

Re: Any good advices before changing distro on a B3?

Post by Gordon »

Unsure what would be the benefit for running both Nginx and Apache on the B3. You should also note that MySQL will take a huge section of the B3's internal memory, which is just 512MB, so disabling unneeded services is always a good idea.

Yes, Jessie should support your needs although it will take some fiddling on your side to make it run PHP7. If you want the newest of everything you'll be better off with a rolling release such as Gentoo (source build) or Arch.

As far as mirroring (RAID) is concerned, the problem with this setup is that both disks experience the exact same activity and because it is common to use the same brand and type of disks that are also usually bought the same time, there is a probability that they will both fail within a relatively short time apart from each other. This is not only theoretical, I've seen it happen and not just once. The main thing here is: do you need constant backup? Would losing five minutes of data really be such a big deal?
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

Gordon wrote: 05 Feb 2017, 05:57 Yes, Jessie should support your needs although it will take some fiddling on your side to make it run PHP7.
Note that a stretch beta image will be available soon which include php7.
Gordon wrote: 05 Feb 2017, 05:57 If you want the newest of everything you'll be better off with a rolling release such as Gentoo (source build) or Arch.
That is definitely true
DragonOneDK

Post by DragonOneDK »

Hi all

Thanks for your replys.

The reason I wanted both nginx and apache2 is because I have plans for a web application with AngularJS based frontend talking to a webservice in php :)

I might end up changing the entire setup with serving php and mysql from another host :)

Latest review of my setup is likely to use the B3 as a simple NAS holding images and docs - perhaps also work as a printserver for an old HP1200 USB printer and using another host for serving the dev enviroment

Regarding the RAID I'm reconsidering - I dont need a complete mirror of the entire disc. I'm thinking if some rsync script might do the job - perharps combined by a cronjob......