New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Replace, then re-mount internal disk as external one?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
jcw

Replace, then re-mount internal disk as external one?

Post by jcw »

FWI, I've replaced the internal 3.5" HD by a 2.5" model. It works like a charm. You just need to secure the disk with sticky two-sided tape to keep things together since there are no mounting options for a 2.5" model. I just wrapped scotch tape around the entire disk + board assembly for now.

This also confirms that the install-from-USB steps described in the manual work exactly as described - great!

Now, I would like to re-use the original HD as an external one, without reformatting. The problem is that /home partition in the B2 (i.e. sda2/sdb2) is an LVM volume, so now there are two LVM partitions with the same volume group name and with the same LVM partition UUID. I can't figure out how to get past the error message about a duplicate UUID, and hence how to mount sdb2.

Some details: pvs and pvscan both report a single LVM partition. I've used "vgrename bubba extern" to change the volume group via another Linux box, but "pvchange -u /dev/sdb2" doesn't change the uuid as expected so the UUID's are still reported as identical.

Is there a way to alter the necessary info on the external disk so the B2 can mount it, without losing data / having to reformat that disk?

(This isn't really a support request, since I've opened and altered my B2, but suggestions would be greatly appreciated)

-jcw
dan13l

Post by dan13l »

What was your thinking around replacing the internal drive with a 2.5" one? Just curious.
jcw

Post by jcw »

dan13l wrote:What was your thinking around replacing the internal drive with a 2.5" one? Just curious.
Even quieter and even less power (been using a NSLU2 that way for over a year). I just wanted to mention that it works - my Q applies to any size disk of course.

-jcw
jvarsoke

Post by jvarsoke »

jcw wrote:
dan13l wrote:What was your thinking around replacing the internal drive with a 2.5" one? Just curious.
Even quieter and even less power (been using a NSLU2 that way for over a year).
Sounds like a wonderful build option for excito to offer. I would have gone that route, most likely.
GettinSadda

Post by GettinSadda »

Wrapping your hard drive in tape is a really bad idea!

I would recommend a mounting kit such as http://stores.channeladvisor.com/cables ... id=3780095