New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Firewall settings and dynamic IP address

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Cheeseboy

Firewall settings and dynamic IP address

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi all,

I must say that I'm well chuffed with the new bubba, and particularly that it works as a proper DHCP/DNS combo out of the box. I haven't seen that before in routers aimed for the home market.

One question about the firewall setup in the web-interface though:
There doesn't seem to be a way to lock DHCP allocation of IP addresses to a specific MAC address, and in the port forwarding section you are not able to enter a host name, only an IP address.

What is the point of forwarding a port to an IP address on the internal network that may change without notice because the DHCP lease might expire?

Is the idea that you should configure those hosts that might need port forwarding with static IP numbers?

Cheers,

Cheesy

EDIT:
Spelling in the subject line...
carl

Re: Firewall settings and dynamic IP address

Post by carl »

Cheeseboy wrote:Hi all,

I must say that I'm well chuffed with the new bubba, and particularly that it works as a proper DHCP/DNS combo out of the box. I haven't seen that before in routers aimed for the home market.

One question about the firewall setup in the web-interface though:
There doesn't seem to be a way to lock DHCP allocation of IP addresses to a specific MAC address, and in the port forwarding section you are not able to enter a host name, only an IP address.

What is the point of forwarding a port to an IP address on the internal network that may change without notice because the DHCP lease might expire?

Is the idea that you should configure those hosts that might need port forwarding with static IP numbers?

Cheers,

Cheesy

EDIT:
Spelling in the subject line...
It's true that the networking/firewall settings is still a bit sparse, we will add more possibilities in near future.

Though the issue with expiring leases isn't a critical problem, as when you negotiate a new lease, you will most often ask for a new lease based on the old lease first, and only when the server denies that you'll ask for an pristine lease.

/Carl
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

You could also use a fixed ip-adress for the computer(s) that have ports that need to be forwarded, and then use DHCP fot the other computers. That's been working just fine for me until nog.
jcw

Post by jcw »

Some routers such as FritzBox and SpeedTouch can pick up the client's host name during the DHCP handshake. That way, the Bubba can be identified by name regardless of what IP address it gets - that's how I use it.

Look into parameters "send host-name" and "send dhcp-client-identifier" in the /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf file.

Another idea would be to look at the dnsmasq configs on the B2, but that probably only helps when the B2 is acting as dhcp server on the lan port.

-jcw
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hello, and thanks for your replies,

I did set up dnsmasq manually on the first bubba to get it to do what I wanted.
This is why I was pleased to see the new functionallty in b2.

It's ok, I will use static IPs where needed (probably old bubba included), but it would be nice to be able to set up MAC/IP bindings from the web interface so certain DHCP clients always get the same address...

Cheers,

Cheeseboy