New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

DB Error: connect failed

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
squadra

Post by squadra »

Sorry to ask a question again after helping me accessing bubba2 but it seems my webmail is not running. I get the message:

A fatal error has occurred
Details have been logged for the administrator.

I really hoped it was all about putting the power on ... really liked it but maybe it seems you need to be a lot technical.
carl

Re: DB Error: connect failed

Post by carl »

squadra wrote:Sorry to ask a question again after helping me accessing bubba2 but it seems my webmail is not running. I get the message:

A fatal error has occurred
Details have been logged for the administrator.

I really hoped it was all about putting the power on ... really liked it but maybe it seems you need to be a lot technical.
It seems that it hasn't have been able to get contact with the database, and no, it is our fault, it should be plug'n'play :) In the next update most logs will be available though the admin interface, but at the moment, the only way to investigte the logs is to ssh into the device.

/Carl
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com
squadra

Post by squadra »

But what to do now? I bought it for two things:
1) central email and music
2) subversion server for work

The first works with music :-) The second i don't think i have apt-get skills so will leave that one :-)
I hope to know what to do how to get it (1>>email) working.. Thanks for responding so quickly. Normally i hate dumb users as a internet designer but i feel like one now.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hello squadra,

Have a look in the logs in /var/log.
I haven't got access to my own bubba2 at the moment so I can't be very specific, but I'm sure horde has it's own logfile. It might give you more ideas as to what is going wrong.
Also check if mysql is up and running with ps -ef.

If you need help on how to connect to the bubba via ssh, how to become root, how to list the log files etc, please let me know.

Best regards,

Cheeseboy
squadra

Post by squadra »

How to connect using ssh (using PuTTy) is very welcome. But at this time my bubba2 is unreachable again and because db:connect error they advised me to install from usb but that one leaves me with a blinking bubba. It all started when i was trying to access from outside, i could connect to my router from outside, but ip of bubba did nothing at port 80. So i thought resetting it but that was no option and i started the new install.
squadra

Post by squadra »

Ok, i had the power button too long while having the flashdrive installed. After just holding it some seconds the new installation began (flash light and drive making some noise). Also //bubba/pim is working!

But i can't login with the user connected to a pop3 mailbox. I also have a problem when i want to login using putty as admin. When i use "su" and input correct password for admin i get a failure, if i set "su admin" and still input this same password i get connection. So i know my password is ok but i still get a login failure, this is with SSH but also horde webmail. What can be the cause. Sorry to ask again... After this works i will never thouch it again :-)

proof:
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hello squadra,

I can see from your screenshot that you have set up an account called squadra, and that you can log in to the shell with that user.
If you want to do stuff as root you need to use su without an argument as you first tried to. The default password is "excito". I suggest the first thing you do is to change it with the passwd command.
If you are used to sudo, this might be confusing. When you use su without argument you need to give the password for the root user, not your own password.

As for the pop3 problem, you will have to give us more details...

Cheers,

Niklas
carl

Post by carl »

Cheeseboy wrote:Hello squadra,

I can see from your screenshot that you have set up an account called squadra, and that you can log in to the shell with that user.
If you want to do stuff as root you need to use su without an argument as you first tried to. The default password is "excito". I suggest the first thing you do is to change it with the passwd command.
If you are used to sudo, this might be confusing. When you use su without argument you need to give the password for the root user, not your own password.

As for the pop3 problem, you will have to give us more details...

Cheers,

Niklas
We had before an discussion if we should stick with the current system with using su and have a default root password, or if we should replace it with a sudo system and have no root password per default, but we never reached a consensus if we should change or not (status quo remains). Do you think it would be easier for most people if we changed to sudo-style?

/Carl
support@excito.com
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi Carl,

I think the downsides of using old-style su are negligible in a small system like the bubba.
You are not going to have the problem of many people having to know and share the root password.
If you introduced a sudo system, it would mean that a default user other than “adminâ€
carl

Post by carl »

[quote="Cheeseboy"]Hi Carl,

I think the downsides of using old-style su are negligible in a small system like the bubba.
You are not going to have the problem of many people having to know and share the root password.
If you introduced a sudo system, it would mean that a default user other than “adminâ€
support@excito.com
squadra

Post by squadra »

Thanks again Niklas,

I actually got subversion up and running thanks to the howto (with init.d setup). It dit cost me some time but my email is centralised, movies and music too. Everyting is accessible from other locations outside. Now i have to learn how to connect it to a domainname and set the certificate right but overall it works.

Only imap server is saying something about plaintext and refusal but maybe it is outlook...

Sep 20 22:52:03 bubba dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<squadra>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured
carl

Post by carl »

squadra wrote:Thanks again Niklas,

I actually got subversion up and running thanks to the howto (with init.d setup). It dit cost me some time but my email is centralised, movies and music too. Everyting is accessible from other locations outside. Now i have to learn how to connect it to a domainname and set the certificate right but overall it works.

Only imap server is saying something about plaintext and refusal but maybe it is outlook...

Sep 20 22:52:03 bubba dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<squadra>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured
plain text authentication for imap is disabled, as a security precaution.

/Carl
support@excito.com