New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

'Moving' files with File Manager and problems with ö, é, e

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
joost

'Moving' files with File Manager and problems with ö, é, e

Post by joost »

It appears Bubba File Manager can't handle strange filenames.
I hooked up an external USB-drive and selected a lot of folders, selected Move and tried to copy them to Bubba internal disk.

Whoops. First of all, Bubba choked on the amount: around 100 GB.

But then after it recovered I found Bubba copied some folders (it stopped after a couple of gig), but replaced all the 'foreign' letters in filenames with '�'

F.e. the directory
'François/'
became
'Fran�ois/'
And in Windows Explorer it appears like:
'Fran_ois/'

How come?

The biggest problem is:
When I try to delete/rename such folders I get 'You need permission to perform this action'. But then I'm stuck, because I can't change the permission status from Windows.
And when logged in to Bubba File Manager it says:
"Invalid path or access denied for user 'admin'"

Any help much appreciated
trencarbe

Post by trencarbe »

I'm experiencing the same problem, copying files from my XP Pro computer to BubbaTwo...
joost

Post by joost »

I managed to get rid of the 'invalid' files fiddling with chmod, user permissions and the 'Read only'-attribute.

Now I've started renaming my music and video collection. *sigh*

Anyone know a good Windows-program to filter 'foreign' characters out of file names/directories and replace them?
Bahurim

Post by Bahurim »

joost wrote:Anyone know a good Windows-program to filter 'foreign' characters out of file names/directories and replace them?
Are you copying while in Bubba or in XP? If you are copying from Bubba ie using Linux then you might try a little program called MC (midnight commander). I believe it will let you filter that stuff while copying. YMMV.