New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubba two how hot may case be running??

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Puma

Bubba two how hot may case be running??

Post by Puma »

Hello,

Bubba two is now running 2 weeks and i find the temperature of the case fairly high when i put my hand on it. (I will measure it today).

I have installed a GREEN WD 500 Gb in it.

Do I have to install extra cooling. Who does this??

My bubba is installed in a cool surrounding with enough space around.

Can I monitor the harddisk temperaturs via SSH or webinterface??

Puma
ahoff

Post by ahoff »

http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb503423/bubba/firefox/
Read the hddtemp part :D

My output:
|/dev/sda|DW CDW0500AASC0-Z0BU 0|32|C|

pretty cool :-).

However. The bubbamoon don't work with B2 yet.
Bubbamon is not compatible with the new Bubba two, but I've just started working on a new version that will handle the B2 as well. I'm not sure how long this will take, but hopefully not to long.
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

According to manufactures, the normal recommended working temperature of a hard disk is 35-40°С. Once it rises by just 10°С – from 40°С to 50°С, the safety of its work becomes more than two times less!

(http://www.hddtemp.com/)

Mine is running at 40 C

WDD green power 1 Tb
ian

Post by ian »

I had to install additional cooling for my bubba (mk. I), because it's located in a cupboard which also houses a heat exchanger for our pumped hot-water system. hddtemp/bubbamon were showing temperatures of close to 60°C, which was slightly worrying.

I solved the problem by buying a 9cm desktop PC fan for about €10. I tried powering it using an old mobile phone charger, but this ran too hot so I bought a good quality power-supply for about €25. The fan is attached to the bubba using double-sided tape, and air is forced into the bubba via its own cooling slots. It works very well, and drops the temperature of the HDD by about 10-15°C (now it runs at 41-43°C)...
matse

Post by matse »

hddtemp measured 45degC on my Bubba|Two 500GB... hmmm..

Mats
johannes

Post by johannes »

Hi all,

First, regarding case temperature, this is fully normal. Since Bubba Two has it's hard drives direct thermally coupled to the aluminum case, the entire case act as cooling. This means that the case itself gets the same temperature as the hard drive, which can feel quite hot. Casings with poor cooling, fans or other cooling techniques don't get that hot, by design. 40-45° feels quite hot, 55° and more makes you want to remove your hand after a few seconds.

The western digital drives we use for the 500GB and 1TB models are specified for operation up to 55°C, with a three year warranty. Hence, 45° us fully normal, even 50° is nothing to worry about.

I understand people worry about the hot case, so I'll try to explain this more thorougly in the users manual or perhaps on www.excito.com later on.

I hope this answers your questions.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
matse

Post by matse »

Thanks Johannes, that explains! I'm not worrying anymore.

Mats