New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

shutdown problem

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
jws

shutdown problem

Post by jws »

shutdown -r as root works OK; connections are cut, half a minute (or so) of blinkenlights, machine comes up again.

But shutdown -h doesn't work. A shutdown message is broadcast over the LAN, connections are cut, and the machine goes into blinkenlights state -- forever. Pressing the button on the back has no effect. You have to pull the power plug; then the machine can be restarted without no ill effects. But pulling the plug seems a bit rude.
Bahurim

Post by Bahurim »

Shouldn't it be be

Code: Select all

shutdown -h now
as root or admin of course. That is what I have always used but I am not sure if leaving the 'now' off would have any ill effect.
jws

Post by jws »

Oh, yes, of course. I should have included the "now" in my post. The problem is, as root:
"shutdown -r now" works.
"shutdown -h now" does not work; machine keeps blinking forever.
davidI

Post by davidI »

Try -hP, which tells it to poweroff, not just to halt. (Actually I just do "init 0", but that might be a bit heavy-handed)

From the shutdown man page:

-h Halt or poweroff after shutdown.

-H Halt action is to halt or drop into boot monitor on systems that
support it.

-P Halt action is to turn off the power.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

I always used "poweroff" without problem with the old bubba, but it doesn't seem to work with the new one.
I will try your suggestions as well.

Thanks.
carl

Post by carl »

the web admin shutdown calls /sbin/poweroff (which is an symlink to /sbin/halt)

/Carl
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com
jws

Post by jws »

carl wrote:the web admin shutdown calls /sbin/poweroff (which is an symlink to /sbin/halt)

/Carl
In my case, also /sbin/poweroff does not work (as root). Nor does "shutdown -hP now". The only neat way of stopping the box is by pressing the reset button until the light blinks.

In /etc/default/ is a file called halt, which is exactly the same on the bubba as on my Debian Sid system. It says:

# Default behaviour of shutdown -h / halt. Set to "halt" or "poweroff".
HALT=poweroff

Is this default behaviour somehow changed somewhere else in the system? I must confess that I have removed the web admin system