New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

smartmontools on Bubba Two

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
dmpop

smartmontools on Bubba Two

Post by dmpop »

Hello,

I installed smartmontools on my Bubba Two, but when I run the smartctl -i /dev/sda1 command, I get the message that the hard disk doesn't support SMART. Also, running the hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda1 command (to turn hard disk power management off) returns the following error: HDIO_DRIVE_CMD failed: Input/output error. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Dmitri
carl

Post by carl »

Are you sure it's an partition that should be the parameter to the command, and not the whole hard drive? try /dev/sda instead?

/Carl
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com
dmpop

Post by dmpop »

Hi Carl,

hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda gives the same error. The smartctl -i /dev/sda also returns the "device does not support SMART" message.

Kind regards,
Dmitri
Hape

Post by Hape »

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/faq.html

scroll halfway :
Smartmontools for FireWire, USB, and SATA disks/systems

In some cases smartmontools may need a hint in the form of a '-d sat' or '-d ata' option on the smartctl command line or in the /etc/smartd.conf file. There may be a hint to add one of those options in the log file when smartd is run as a daemon or on the command line with smartctl. The '-d ata' option means that even though the drive has a SCSI device name, treat it as an ATA disk. Unfortunately such an approach doesn't often work. The next paragraph has more information about '-d sat'.

You'd better start reading ;-)

rgds
dmpop

Post by dmpop »

Reading documentation, what a novel idea! I might try that. Anyway, thanks for the pointer. :-)

Kind regards,
Dmitri