New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Expected performance

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
vakuumbarn

Expected performance

Post by vakuumbarn »

I've got a feeling I've got some performance problems, though I'm not quite sure whether it's the bubba 2 or my network setup or some update on my laptop or some other factor...

What can I expect from a tiny little thing like bubba? Logging in with ssh takes about 10 seconds. File transfer speed is usually around 200kb/s, topping at 1,5 mb/s (even when connecting the laptop to the router). Squeezecenter takes about 4-5 seconds to do a search (about 11000 songs there). I disabled the default squeezecenter web interface because it was so slow. Is this to be expected or should I do some serious research on what might be wrong?

My setup is:
bubba2 wired to router dlink DIR-655
laptop running gentoo (wireless)
squeezebox
macbook (running osx, wireless)
davidI

Post by davidI »

sounds slow.
I get about 6Mbyes per second using ftp transferring large files with a wired 100Mbps connection. ssh does take about 5 seconds logging in before I get a prompt.
mad

Post by mad »

Squeezecenter performance is a bit slow, but it's still usable. Havent tried searching for songs but playing and browsing is acceptable. Unfortunately Bubba|Two is not powerful enough to transcode flac to mp3 using the new vbr transcoding (and I am unable to force it to stream abr/cbr).
carl

Post by carl »

mad wrote:Squeezecenter performance is a bit slow, but it's still usable. Havent tried searching for songs but playing and browsing is acceptable. Unfortunately Bubba|Two is not powerful enough to transcode flac to mp3 using the new vbr transcoding (and I am unable to force it to stream abr/cbr).
Why would you want to transcode flac to mp3? As the squeezeboxes handles flac, I think such transcode is not giving much.

/Carl
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com
mad

Post by mad »

carl wrote:
mad wrote:Squeezecenter performance is a bit slow, but it's still usable. Havent tried searching for songs but playing and browsing is acceptable. Unfortunately Bubba|Two is not powerful enough to transcode flac to mp3 using the new vbr transcoding (and I am unable to force it to stream abr/cbr).
Why would you want to transcode flac to mp3? As the squeezeboxes handles flac, I think such transcode is not giving much.

/Carl
Because I don't bring my squeezebox to work, thats why :) I'm in no way trying to trash talk the Bubba as a squeezecenter, it works fine except for transcoding (atm).