New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Can I get some help on installing java?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
TheLudd

Can I get some help on installing java?

Post by TheLudd »

Hi!
I searched the forum on java guides and found a few threads but they are mostly discussin if it is possible at all to run java on Bubba II. I want java since I want an Apache server with tomcat running on it. It also seems very uncertain if this is at all possible.
So...
Is it possible to install java?
Is it possible to run tomcat?

If yes. Can someone please give me a complete guide to make it work? I would appreciate it very much.
I am somewhat familiar with linux but no expert so I would very much appreciate a guide containing linux commands. :roll:
kees

Post by kees »

Yes we can:

Install Tomcat using the following commands

Code: Select all

#apt-get install tomcat5.5
#apt-get install tomcat5.5-admin
#apt-get install tomcat5.5-webapps
java is automatically installed with tomcat.
TheLudd

Post by TheLudd »

Tomcat was downloaded and installed when i executed the first command. However it was not started. I got the following error message:

* Not starting Tomcat: no Java Development Kit found.
invoke-rc.d: initscript tomcat5.5, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing tomcat5.5 (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 tomcat5.5
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://www.dipconsultants.com etch/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/www.dipconsultants.com_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-powerpc_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I checked if java was installed (java -version) and this was printed:

java version "1.4.2"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-20)

Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
I need at least java 5, preferably java 6.
How can this be solved?
kees

Post by kees »

The command apt-get install tomcat5.5 gives the error:

You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems 
Have you tried that?

(nb after that execute the commands apt-get install tomcat5.5... etc. again)
TheLudd

Post by TheLudd »

Yes I have and I get the same error
paolol61

Post by paolol61 »

As far as I know the most advanced Java for PPC is IBM 1.5.x
Development for PPC was stopped after IBM stop using it for is PC, so I don't think you will be able tu run tomcat on Bubba2.
:(
d94ka

Post by d94ka »

paolol61 wrote:As far as I know the most advanced Java for PPC is IBM 1.5.x
Development for PPC was stopped after IBM stop using it for is PC, so I don't think you will be able tu run tomcat on Bubba2.
:(
This is not the case; you can download a Java 6 JDK for PowerPC at http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/ ... nload.html (32-bit iSeries/pSeries). I have installed it on my Bubba 2, and Tomcat works fine with it.
TheLudd

Post by TheLudd »

d94ka wrote: This is not the case; you can download a Java 6 JDK for PowerPC at http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/ ... nload.html (32-bit iSeries/pSeries). I have installed it on my Bubba 2, and Tomcat works fine with it.
Sounds promising but the links on that page are all broken :(
I sent an email to them asking about it.
Is there anywhere else to download the SDK?
d94ka

Post by d94ka »

TheLudd wrote:
d94ka wrote: This is not the case; you can download a Java 6 JDK for PowerPC at http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/ ... nload.html (32-bit iSeries/pSeries). I have installed it on my Bubba 2, and Tomcat works fine with it.
Sounds promising but the links on that page are all broken :(
I sent an email to them asking about it.
Is there anywhere else to download the SDK?
I noted that as well, but it seems the links are working again. I haven't had any problems running this JDK on the Bubba Two apart from the fact that it wanted to have an older version of libc installed (but that seems to be OK).
shocks

Post by shocks »

@d94ka - This is great - do you have some pointers on how to get Java and Tomcat up and running on Bubba 2? Have just tried to install from the link you supplied but getting:
dl failure on line 729Error: failed /opt/ibm/java/ibm-java-ppc-60/jre/lib/ppc/j9vm/libjvm.so, because libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Thanks
Ben
TheLudd

Post by TheLudd »

d94ka wrote: I noted that as well, but it seems the links are working again. I haven't had any problems running this JDK on the Bubba Two apart from the fact that it wanted to have an older version of libc installed (but that seems to be OK).
I ran into some more problems and gave up last time I wrote here. But now I feel ready to go for another try.

This is what I happends when I download the ppc package:

bubba:/usr/java# rpm -i ibm-java-ppc-sdk-6.0-3.0.ppc.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        glibc >= 2.3 is needed by ibm-java-ppc-sdk-6.0-3.0.ppc
        libstdc++.so.5 is needed by ibm-java-ppc-sdk-6.0-3.0.ppc
        /bin/sh is needed by ibm-java-ppc-sdk-6.0-3.0.ppc
I downloaded glibc and tried to install it but then I get the message that I have a failed dependency "filesystem"
That was when I felt like I had enough.
What is the problem here? It feels like I need 1000 standar libraries that are not there. Or am I doing something wrong?
d94ka

Post by d94ka »

TheLudd wrote:
d94ka wrote: I noted that as well, but it seems the links are working again. I haven't had any problems running this JDK on the Bubba Two apart from the fact that it wanted to have an older version of libc installed (but that seems to be OK).
I ran into some more problems and gave up last time I wrote here. But now I feel ready to go for another try.

This is what I happends when I download the ppc package:

bubba:/usr/java# rpm -i ibm-java-ppc-sdk-6.0-3.0.ppc.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        glibc >= 2.3 is needed by ibm-java-ppc-sdk-6.0-3.0.ppc
        libstdc++.so.5 is needed by ibm-java-ppc-sdk-6.0-3.0.ppc
        /bin/sh is needed by ibm-java-ppc-sdk-6.0-3.0.ppc
I downloaded glibc and tried to install it but then I get the message that I have a failed dependency "filesystem"
That was when I felt like I had enough.
What is the problem here? It feels like I need 1000 standar libraries that are not there. Or am I doing something wrong?
I don't think using the rpm file is a good idea. I just downloaded the tgz file, unpacked it and put it in a suitable place in the path. The only dependency I remember having to install was libstdc++5, and I simply installed it using

apt-get install libstdc++5
Cohan

Re: Can I get some help on installing java?

Post by Cohan »

d94ka wrote:I don't think using the rpm file is a good idea. I just downloaded the tgz file, unpacked it and put it in a suitable place in the path. The only dependency I remember having to install was libstdc++5, and I simply installed it using
What is a suitable place? I moved the ibm-java-ppc-60 folder to /usr/bin/ but that didn't work. Do I have to rename the folder or something?