New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

[SOLVED] [Old] WD Green Power drives may kill themselves !!

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
bervan

Post by bervan »

I can run the script in bash. But if my imac is sleeping then the script stops. There must be another way to let the scrip run on the B2 without a dependancy with my imac but I just don't know how. Can someone help me?

Thanks

Bert
peter

Post by peter »

Running in bash is correct,
but I think you have to give the following command (where SCRIPT must be replaced by the name you gave to the script):

Code: Select all

nohup SCRIPT &
This makes sure the script is not attached to the terminal so it does not receive any signals which cause it to terminate.
bervan

Post by bervan »

Peter, Rewien thanks.
I am learning every day!
rewien

Post by rewien »

any progress made by the excito team for finding a solution for the increasing cycles?
MagnusJonsson

Post by MagnusJonsson »

Hmm... It does not seem as if I learn at the speed of bervan.

I edited a file (calling it Alive) using Pico and pasted the script

while [ true ];do
sleep 5
tail /var/log/messages >NUL
done
but when I run it using

nohup Alive &
I get

nohup: appending output to `nohup.out'
nohup: cannot run command `Alive': No such file or directory
[1] 3823
[1]+  Exit 127                nohup Alive

and nohup.out seems empty (when looking in it using pico).

Is there anything essential I'm missing ?

(Yes, the file seems to exist

ls
Alive  downloads  Mail  nohup.out  private  public_html  torrents
and yes, I've tried both as root and non-root with the same response...
peter

Post by peter »

You have to make the script (you called Alive) executable by the following command:

chmod 755 Alive
After that you can start it by typing:

nohup Alive &

or execute the following command:

nohup /bin/sh Alive &
If everything is correct, you still get an empty nohup.out
MagnusJonsson

Post by MagnusJonsson »

I have to concur with bervan in his opinion:

Thanks Peter, I'm learning every day !
Puma

Run the script

Post by Puma »

Hello,

Can someone tell me in simple words how to run the script?
And how can you see its working?? with command TOP??

I made: wdnoloadcycle.sh

#!/bin/bash
#workaround for the green drive WD problem loadcycles.
while [ true ];do
sleep 5
tail /var/log/messages
>NUL done

Puma
rewien

Post by rewien »

I wonder if excito have found any solution to this problem yet?

The script is just a temporary fix.
nitram

Post by nitram »

I will replace my "problem" disk soon because it is already on 342000 load_cycles. But before I'll do that i want to make a copy/image of this "problem" disk.

So i'm looking for a tool that can create such a copy/image. does anyone know a simple/good tool to do this ?

Thanks in advance,
Martin
Xolo

Post by Xolo »

Quick and easy way: CloneZilla Live
Take the disk out of Bubba and mount it in a desktop machine with at least 1GB RAM (More RAM helps speed up copying, good disk controller helps too) and off you go.

If you don't have a machine handy to do the above.. you could try using DD from inside Bubba to another disk on the network.
In that case this thread over at LinuxQuestions may be of use to you, but it will be more time consuming.
rewien

Post by rewien »

nitram wrote:I will replace my "problem" disk soon because it is already on 342000 load_cycles. But before I'll do that i want to make a copy/image of this "problem" disk.

So i'm looking for a tool that can create such a copy/image. does anyone know a simple/good tool to do this ?

Thanks in advance,
Martin
yes! i was thinking the same thing ;)

thanks! I'm going to clone mine too, am afraid losing all info.
and don't want to reconfigure everything all over again.

Does anyone know which disk other then WD green disks are supported on bubbatwo?
Rewien
Strider

Post by Strider »

Hi,

I just got my new Bubba 2 with 1TB, it is still empty so if someone needs some type of experience I can performe to solve some issue please let me know.
Meanwhile my smartmon output is:

Device Model: WDC WD10EACS-00D6B1
Serial Number: WD-WCAU42918074
Firmware Version: 01.01A01
User Capacity: 1,000,204,886,016 bytes

9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 3
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 6
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 8

Regards
Puma

Will this work on the B2 after firmware update in a dos PC?

Post by Puma »

RE2GP Idle Mode Update Utility
File Name: RE2IdleModeUpd.zip
File Size: 656 KB
Version: N/A
Publish Date: January, 2009

Important! If a pop-up blocker is installed, you may need to disable it in order to download the software.

Description

This firmware modifies the behavior of the drive to wait longer before positioning the heads in their park position and turning off unnecessary electronics. This utility is designed to upgrade the firmware of the following hard drives: WD1000FYPS-01ZKB0, WD7500AYPS-01ZKB0, WD7501AYPS-01ZKB0.

CAUTION: Do not attempt to run this software on any hard drives other than what is listed above. Please make sure that the computer system is not turned off during the firmware upgrade. Doing so may damage the hard drive beyond repair and your data may be lost.

Supported Operating Systems

PC Compatible Computer (DOS)

Instructions

Important: Please ensure that any important data is backed up from the hard drive and that the drive is removed from the RAID array (the array is offline) before updating the firmware.
Download the RE2IdleModeUpd file containing the firmware for the update.
Extract wdcha059.exe onto a bootable medium (floppy, CD-RW, network drive, etc.).
Boot the system with the hard drive to be updated to the medium where the update file was extracted to.
Run the file by typing wdcha059.exe at the command prompt and press enter.
The software will scan the Serial ATA bus and automatically update the hard drive that is connected and recognized. It may take up to two minutes to update the firmware of the hard drive.
Critical: Please make sure that the computer system is not turned off during the firmware upgrade. Doing so may damage the hard drive beyond repair and your data may be lost.

Once completed, a message will be displayed that the firmware has been updated. Once this message is displayed, remove your boot media and reboot your system.
Note: If you are having issues updating the firmware of a drive connected to a PCI Serial ATA controller or Serial ATA RAID controller, please install the drive into a system with Serial ATA connections directly on the motherboard (Onboard Serial ATA controller) and try again.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Puma,
This firmware update application only works for the stated serial numbers, and our disk series isn't in there I'm afraid. The -FYPS disks are another product line.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)