New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

[SOLVED] [Old] WD Green Power drives may kill themselves !!

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Gordon

Re: [SOLVED] [Old] WD Green Power drives may kill themselves

Post by Gordon »

Did you install the meta package `build-essential`?

Code: Select all

apt-get install build-essential
Puma

Post by Puma »

Hello,

What do you think of the new RED drive: WD Red Pro WD2001FFSX
No intelly power means probarbly no load cycle count problems.
7200 rpm means more speed?

Maybe this is the best option for raid 1 and sturdy solution for years?

Only problem may be to hot for the b3 (higher power consumption....)

Puma
Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

You wouldn't want to use a 7200RPM drive in the B3 enclosure. It will run too hot and destroy itself (the B3 hardware can actually withstand quite a lot and not suffer from this).

And I actually doubt whether you'll get more speed from the drive. In fact I ran a drive speed test on my own B3 not too long ago (to find out whether it makes sense to move the swap partition from the end of the drive to the front of the drive) and I found that on the first 3/4 of the disk there was no difference in speed. Only on the last 1/4 speed started to decline, and thus it would appear that speed is limited by something else. The specifications on the WD Green drive support this conclusion as well, because the maximum speed that I did get was significantly lower.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi,

My b2 is currently off-line, so I cannot confirm this myself, but it should be something like this:

You should have a symbolic link called /usr/bin/cc pointing to the update-alternatives system that then will be another symbolic link to /usr/bin/gcc, which is yet another symbolic link to the actual executable (gcc-4.4 or similar).

It should be there if you install the package build-essential (as root)

# apt-get install build-essential
There could be something wrong with your $PATH environment variable, or the whole chain of symbolic links.
You can just check with:

$ which cc
It should give you the path to the first symlink in the chain. If it returns nothing you have no cc in your $PATH.
You can then follow the link chain by doing a simple ls -l on each of them in turn:

$ ls -l /usr/bin/cc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Dec 18  2010 /usr/bin/cc -> /etc/alternatives/cc
$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/cc
...etcetera.

You can also check what update-alternatives is set to (should you happen to have other cc compilers installed):

$ update-alternatives --list cc
If it is something odd (i.e. not the GNU compiler) but gcc is installed, it should be listed but not marked as the active one with the little star next to it.

You can change it (as root):

# update-alternatives --config cc
Cheers,

Cheeseboy
86ivar

Post by 86ivar »

Gordon wrote:Did you install the meta package `build-essential`?

apt-get install build-essential
Thanks!
But now im stuck at the "idle3ctl -d /dev/sda" command. Tried /devidle3ctl -d /dev/sda1 too but I get "invalid input/output" The -g or -s flag does not work either.

root@b2:/home/storage/idle3-tools-0.9.1/idle3-tools-0.9.1# ./idle3ctl -d /dev/sda
sg16(VSC_ENABLE) failed: Input/output error
Found in the idle3ctl forum some guy with the same error, apparently it does not work with specific SATA controllers http://sourceforge.net/p/idle3-tools/bugs/2/

Maybe some of the errors i got during the make is the cause?

root@b2:/home/storage/idle3-tools-0.9.1# make
cc -g -O2 -W -Wall -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-align -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -fkeep-inline-functions -Wwrite-strings -Waggregate-return -Wnested-externs -Wtrigraphs    -c -o idle3ctl.o idle3ctl.c
idle3ctl.c:48: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
idle3ctl.c:89: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
idle3ctl.c:113: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
idle3ctl.c:136: warning: no previous prototype for 'VSC_send_key'
idle3ctl.c:167: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
idle3ctl.c:174: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
idle3ctl.c:182: warning: no previous prototype for 'VSC_get_timer'
idle3ctl.c:213: warning: no previous prototype for 'VSC_set_timer'
idle3ctl.c:244: warning: no previous prototype for 'cleanup'
idle3ctl.c:252: warning: no previous prototype for 'show_version'
idle3ctl.c:258: warning: no previous prototype for 'show_usage'
cc -g -O2 -W -Wall -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-align -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -fkeep-inline-functions -Wwrite-strings -Waggregate-return -Wnested-externs -Wtrigraphs    -c -o sgio.o sgio.c
cc -s -o idle3ctl idle3ctl.o sgio.o
#strip idle3ctl
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

That's a disappointment. No, the warnings during compiling seem normal to me. I found a similar statement on idle3-tools failing on a specific SATA controller. Apparently the B2 does have such a controller.

I also just stumbled upon this:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/i/idle3-tools/
There's actually a binary for this in the Debian repository! So if you think something went wrong during compiling, you can grab the package from there and install it to retry.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

There's actually a binary for this in the Debian repository! So if you think something went wrong during compiling, you can grab the package from there and install it to retry.
Sorry to say it seems you were right in your first statement...
I remember having some issues with newer disks on the b2, so I put the b2 together again and tried with that latest version you linked to.
Still fails, even with a WD green from 2008 that was actually already in the smartmontools DB that shipped with the b2.
86ivar

Post by 86ivar »

Yeah the idle3-tools in hte respitori gave the same input/output error.
fatmelter

Post by fatmelter »

My WD20EARS 2TB stock driver died with LCC 2,4 million.

That is about 8 times the recommended value by WD?

Yet the total spin time is only 1 year and eight months. That is nothing seen the very few power on / offs.

Community is nice but of course is see this post after the issues have shown... And common, Bubba killing its standard drive?

I was aware of the issue with those WD drives if put in a Synology at the time they were brand new but figured all I would need to do was update the Bubba OS. :(

How "green" those systems. :roll:
86ivar

Post by 86ivar »

fatmelter wrote:My WD20EARS 2TB stock driver died with LCC 2,4 million.
I disabled the parking now after 2,646 million lcc's, right on the edge of fail I guess.
I got 3,67 years powertime but maybe downloading torrents saved me from some lc's.
You should open up the disk and inspect it, maybe the head fell completely off? lol