New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Preinstalled 1T disk but with 47GB free space diff

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
gurra

Preinstalled 1T disk but with 47GB free space diff

Post by gurra »

Bought a B2 with 1TB disk and after logging in for the first time the info on the home page was:

Total disk size 928 388 MB
Free disk space 881 023 MB

The difference is 47 365 MB -> ~47 GB.

Isn't 'Total disk size' the maximum available space for data on the disk? Of course there is some space required for FAT and similar but shouldn't 'Total disk size' be 'Real Disk size' - 'file table size'?
beatgr

Post by beatgr »

I have a 500 GB Seagate SATA drive in my Bubba|Two
When I bring up the Home page (Administration menus):

Total disk size 459,033 MB
Free disk space 434,409 MB

Basically it is the current image plus a 'get' for WordPress application.

gb
carl

Post by carl »

This is a combination off several issues actually, which can give the impression that there is a large difference.

First we have partition and filesystem metadata including journaling data which tales up a small amount.
Second the hard drive is divided into three parts, first we have the root partition, which is 10GB; Second, we have the swap partition which is 1 GB; This total to 11 GB.

Third is that the home partition is an lvm-partition, which include some additional overhead

"Total disk size" is the total disk size for the home partition actually, and "Free disk space" is that is available at the moment on the home partition.

I hope this answers your question.

/Carl
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com
gurra

Post by gurra »

>First we have partition and filesystem metadata including journaling data which tales up a small amount.
Yes, of course, but I suppose there is information how much space that is available for storage. At least dos/win/mac have this so I suppose even linux have this.

>Second the hard drive is divided into three parts, first we have the root partition, which is 10GB; Second, we have the swap partition which is 1 GB; This total to 11 GB.
Maybe each partition could have their own "total" & "free" disk space indicator.

>Third is that the home partition is an lvm-partition, which include some additional overhead
Same comment as in Note 1.

/Gustav
GotenXiao

Post by GotenXiao »

There's another factor. By default, ext2/3/4 partitions have reserved space for a user. You can discover how much reserved space is allocated for a partition by issuing the following command:

Code: Select all

tune2fs -l /dev/sda1
Where /dev/sda1 is the partition in question.