New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Problem streaming video to Popcorn A-110 from Bubba|Two

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
LeffePeffe

Problem streaming video to Popcorn A-110 from Bubba|Two

Post by LeffePeffe »

Hi All!

I have just connected a Popcorn Hour A-110 to my Bubba|Two.

From the A-110 I can see the Bubba Server and the Video folder. However when I try to play a video the A-110 displays 'Buffering' for a couple of seconds and then the display goes blank and nothing more happens.

Just to be sure that the format of the video is correct I downloaded it to an USBstick that I inserted directly into the A-110 and then the video plays OK.

I can access YouTube from the A-110 so it seems that the network connection is OK.

I have checked that the UPNP-streaming service is selected on the Services page in the Bubba WebAdmin page.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and been able to solve it?

Thanks / Leif
ian

Post by ian »

I have an A-110 working with a bubba (one). If you're having (or think you are) problems with uPNP, try browsing the network and playing a video from the Video folder; this doesn't rely on uPNP.

Even better is to install NFS, as this doesn't require passwords to be entered and the performance seems to be better....
tromas

I have the same config and the same problem

Post by tromas »

Hi!
I have exactly the same problem with the same config.
I also have a PS3 and an a Qnap-109

I am able to stream videos from the Bubba TWO & the Qnap to the PS3
On the A-110 I am able to stream from the Qnap but not the Bubba TWO

I successfully streamed MP3 and watched pictures on the A-110 from the Bubba Two.

So this should out rule any UPnP config errors.

On the A110:
I can browze the folders on the Bubba two without any problem.
When I select a movie I can see the A110 displaying the buffering messege.
Then sometimes I just get a black sceeen, other times I get a black screen the, then it kicks me out to the menu for a second or two and then a black screen again.

After this I am locked, nothing happens if I press the remote

//Tomas
MagnusJonsson

Post by MagnusJonsson »

I also have the A-110 together with B2 and experience the same problem. (Black screen and a reboot of A-110 required)

However I can stream from B2 directly to my Samsung TV (using DNLA) which can display a limited set of formats. However the B2 seems to become unresponsive after this for some 30 seconds.
(I'll need to do some more investigation however)

<Magnus>
LeffePeffe

Post by LeffePeffe »

The idea of browsing the network and playing the video from the (in my case) NetWorkBrowser/EXCITO/BUBBA/storage works! This is great except that I have to enter the user/password every time. I have not found a way to save this info in the A-110.

One more good thing is that I now see all files with extension .ISO which I did not when I looked directly under the BUBBA/video folder.

I now wonder if the UPNP feature is running as it should? Is there any easy way to check that process on the Bubba|Two, like the ps or top command?

I have the impression that there is something going on here that I do not completely understand (which is highly likely because I'm not a Linux-guru...).

Regards / Leif
johannes

Post by johannes »

Hi all,

What I think you are experiencing is that the UPnP server we are using (MediaTomb) doesn't work very well with Popcorn hour. Playing short clips usually works OK, but movies don't work at all.

HOwever, as some of you have discovered, using SAMBA instead of UPnP works perfectly, the only downside is that you have to log on using the user name and password. I think it should be possible to as a SAMBA shortcut on popcorn hour, but I haven't tried that myself.

Regarding the UPnP server we are considering alternatives to MediaTomb, but haven't finished that evaluation yet.

Sorry about this, and I hope you'll be satisfied with the samba option until this is solved.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Skaven

Post by Skaven »

the swedhis nörd to the rescu ;p

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showt ... ?tid=10355

i haw email the persen ho u handeling MediaTomb and askt hem to update the deb faile buti hawent email me back ( mcitadel@gmail.com )

hello, i´m bubba 2 user i´m trying to get MediaTomb to stream to my
popcorn houer but it is only buffering, i haw fount 1 Moor person has
the same problem it seams it is bug in MediaTomb, so can u pleas
upgrade the deb pack fore Bubba 2 ?. and yes i can stream frome
MediaTomb to my osx/win vista and xbmc

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showt ... ?tid=10355
ian

Post by ian »

I played around with the Samba config on my bubba, to try and create an account not requiring a password. Nothing I tried helped, but I did find a recommendation to try NFS (No File Security!?). I installed the NFS package on my bubba one, and it works fine; NFS appears as a network to browse, and no passwords are required...

If you want the stability of Samba, as opposed to apparent instability of Mediatomb, but don't want to enter passwords using the remote control (which is a pain), then NFS would seem to be the way to go...
massis

Post by massis »

Hi,
I would like to confirm that I am using the Johannes samba option and it works perfectly.

I have mapped a shared folder with samba and I found it into media source menu
ian

Post by ian »

I must admit that I hadn't noticed the possibility to create shortcuts to commonly accessed SAMBA/NFS paths.... very nice and extremely handy...
DrNo

Popcorn Hour works perfect with BubbaII

Post by DrNo »

At first I had the problems described in previous posts' --"" buffring", blank screen syndrome.

Then I defined a "network share" found in setup menu. Then I was defining the share on bubba storage folder and saved username & password.

Now I have a shortcut on Popcorn A100 and it works perfect with BubbaII

Best regards
Johan :D
MagnusJonsson

Post by MagnusJonsson »

Instead of trying to learn the rest of the family what uPNP and Samba means I just switched off uPNP streaming in the services menu.
That at least prevented other users from ending up in the wrong place when playing around with the Popcorn...
I still haven't found what I'm not able to do by doing this (obviously I have no gadgets that needs uPNP) and since my Squeezebox works without it I'm happy ! 8)
obsidian

Post by obsidian »

I've got the same problem with bubba2 /mediatomb / PCH
I've been using NFS with YAMJ installed on my bubba2 and it works very well!!

At the moment testing different file systems on a externel drive connected to my buuba2 to see what performs best.

jfs is winning the movie FS war followed by xfs, ext3, and reiserfs.

I can't get the ext4dev module to load, and work has been getting in the way of tinkering.

Also...
I was thinking of building a dynamic movie/music jukebox that runs on the bubba and uses inotify to detect new cds and ISOs....

Never enough time in the day.